Repace Wooden Door Sill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, the base of the vertical sections of my porch are rotten, and so is a large chunk of the door sill, so i'm looking to replace these bits. My plan is to cut a 2 to 5 inch section off the bottom of the vertical wood sections and then try and get the sill out and replace it, then glue some blocks back in to replace the sections i cut out on the vertical sections.

Sound ok?

By the looks of things, the porch should stay up???

Also, any specific type of wood i should use for the door sill? I assume i'll have to cut/plane to shape, cuprinol/dye it?

thanks.

Sponsored Links
Chances are the glass will shatter at some stage , I would hope the porch didn't stay up, I would rip it all out and start again, certainly quicker to replace than repair.

Do as advice from Mr Fox.

Tyring to remove the defective timber me you wolud find that the glass would break and you would large shards of glass coming down, then if you survived that then you would have to replace the glass to a thicker/security glass. This is once you have replaced all the defective timber. So in the long run it would be quicker, safer and cost effective to have a new upvc porch. Not forgetting undercoating and gloss.

I also notice from your last picture that you have upvc windows which look quite new. So....................................new upvc porch it is then.

It's so easy spending some elses money.

Andy

Alternativly, if you don't want to go down the plastic route, rip out the bottom half upto the height of the rail that has the letterbox in it and replace with brickwork.
My house had a similiar problem with a particulary ugly extenstion on the rear and that's how I resolved my problem (and added double glazing at the same time).

Sponsored Links
thanks for the replies. I decided not to risk cutting the bottoms out as the frame didn't appear to be attached at the sides. So i've just cut back the rubbish and will patch up the verticals and the sill. Should look alright by the time i've filled and painted. Havn't the cash to totally replace right now - that's a longer term project though.

It's been 8 years, but i thought i'd update with a picture of how it turned out: frontdoorfinished.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back