Wooden front door and sill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

A little while ago, when replacing carpet with laminate, I noticed a small gap all the way along the bottom of the wooden front door sill and the floor screed and my view was quite limited (with my head on the floor) to see what was supporting it.

So the outside of the door sill rests on the door step outside but the inside does not rest on the floor screed and there is a cavity underneath, so how could that section of the door sill be supported?

Probably a very simple answer to this, but it has been puzzling me.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Fine as long as majority has support.
It's a 1940's cavity wall and unfortunately it looks like the majority rests on nothing. When looking through the small gap all along and between the sill and the floor screed I could see the full cavity underneath the sill and then the inside of the door step several inches further away.

Before laying the laminate, the end of the screed was damaged and I repaired it but still left a small gap since the wooden door sill is higher than the floor screed by a few millimeters. I didn't fill the gap since it may have been like that before, but now I'm thinking maybe I should have done since I am avoiding walking onto the door sill. I know every house is different but wouldn't it be properly secured with something for it not to move?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back