Bi-Fold Door Sill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've recently moved into a house with bifold doors - probably around 7-8 years old, no more than 10. The sill on the doors is looking quite tired (faded) and in a small strip (about a foot long max) it looks like some filler has come out and part of the wood has swelled as a result. This has meant that in the summer the door has scraped the wood a little and removed the finish.

Now, bearing in mind I'm far from an expert, my plan was to sand, fill and apply some wood stain/preserver. However, a friend has said (also no expert!) that the sill could be made of a composite material and I shouldn't sand, etc. I'd assumed it was a type of hardwood, although the doors themselves are composite.

Any ideas on how I would identify if composite and how I should treat if it is? (not sure if it'll help, but a couple of photos attached)

Thanks!
IMG_4229.jpg
IMG_4226.jpg

Sponsored Links
Doubt it’s composite, Looks like a hardwood cill, as you can see the end grain. I think I would fill it, sand and treat. Either stain the filler or get darker filler.

The damage is already done, as it should have been treated years back.

You could clad it in something like an aluminium sill, depending on size, that would protect it.

Hi, thanks for your reply and comments. Now to find the time to do it! :)

Sponsored Links
does it have drainage holes going from track through cill to underside of cill? -if so get em cleaned out

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back