Ground connection in house

10 Jun 2024
Reaction score

I am trying to understand what the electrician did at my home and i think he misunderstood what i wanted him to do. I just need some advice to better comprehend the situation and what i should ask the electrician to do next time to fix it. So, i need to have ground in the house to several rooms, but the ground rod (i followed the cable from outside to inside the house) is connected to only one power socket in the kitchen. I do not see any other wire connections to the other sockets.

My questions:
1. Why did the electrician do it this way and what about ground for the other sockets? I borrowed a ground tester and based on the light coding, it indeed showed that there was ground connection in only one of the sockets.
2. What is the best way to go about fixing this? Obviously, i will ask an electrician (maybe a different one this time) but i just want to know what the proper procedure should be. Based on my research, the ground wire should be coming from outside to inside the house and connect to a junction box and from there, it should be distributed to every power socket in the room. Is that correct?
3. How many power sockets can be connected to the same ground rod or same junction box?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Generally the main earth (ground) conductor should go to your consumer unit (fuse box) and each circuit going out of it should have its own earth wire connected to it.

It would also be a good idea to have one or more RCDs fitted in your consumer unit.

That‘s the general theory, much of the details depend on your country‘s regs.
Are you in the US?

AFAIUI, GFCIs have been code for many decades and there should be a ground connection to the distribution panel.
Sponsored Links
I‘m not 100% familiar with US electrics but I do know all domestic installations have been TN-C-S for well over half a century, so running a CPC from an earth rod to one single socket doesn’t sound like US practices to me.
OP is in Mauritius (probably).

Mauritius uses the UK Type G plug/socket and their 2022 laws mention
“requirements for low voltage electrical installations” means either MS 63 or BS 7671:2018;
so probably the same as here in UK.

Google is your friend if you use it carefully.