Ground Floor Flat Removing Part of a Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have bought a ground floor flat (building is 4 story)
I currently have a separate living area and kitchen currently and would like to make the space more open plan to feel more spacious.

I want to make sort of a large serving hatch in the wall.

The wall is 4.5mtres wide and 2.4mtres high

The idea is the hatch will start about 1 mtre from the floor and be 1.3mtres high and 2.6mtrs wide and have spotlights along the top and have a wood worktop so it can be used as a breakfast bar.

The wall is brick. How will i find out if the wall is loadbearing? I have no access to the flats above but they do follow the same layout.

I have a photocopy of the architects plans for the ground floor some of the internal walls are drew in solid black line does this mean these are the loadbearing walls and the walls with 'hollow' lines are non loadbearing???

Obviously I will call in a professional but want to get an idea if the work is viable before I do!

Thanks
Andrea

Sponsored Links
as you live in a flat the chances are the floors will be block 'n' beam. depending on where the beams are seated, will determine whether the walls are load bearing or not. without a site visit it will be hard to guess.

don't rely solely on drawings. visual confirmation is always necessary in these situations.

any lintelled openings greater than 1.8m in a structural wall require calculations and a visit from b.c.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back