Ground Floor Sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey Guys, when rewiring is it better to run the ring circuit cables for the ground floor under the floorboards or to take them up the wall in piping under the plaster and run them about in the ceiling? This is assuming that there is going to be re plastering... Thinking only having to take one floor up and no wires underneath where mice ext can nibble :0 But then you have people nailing drilling pictures ext... What you think? This is in theory BTW. :)

Sponsored Links
It's what ever works best, providing the cables are run in the permitted safe zones.
But personally I would run the downstairs socket circuit below the floor up to the outlets. If there is a potential problem with rodents, you could run the cables in conduit under the floor.

But then you have people nailing drilling pictures ext... What you think?
I think people shouldn't nail or drill anywhere above, below or to the side of accessories, or within 150mm of the ceiling, or within 150mm of internal corners.

Take the route that uses the least amount of cable, which gives a lower resistance and a better disconnection time

Sponsored Links
I think people shouldn't nail or drill anywhere above, below or to the side of accessories, or within 150mm of the ceiling, or within 150mm of internal corners.

... which are the "safe zones" spacified within the regs - but on the few occasions when I've been called out to rectify nails through cables, it's as if the householders had carefully measured up to see where the cables would be behind the plaster, and whacked the nails in!!

Often find cables straying across walls where they shouldn't be (especially in kitchen refits) but can't recall a job where someone had hit a wire that shouldn't have been there. Which is probably the signal fot eh phone to ring ....

PJ

... which are the "safe zones" spacified within the regs - but on the few occasions when I've been called out to rectify nails through cables, it's as if the householders had carefully measured up to see where the cables would be behind the plaster, and whacked the nails in!!

Often find cables straying across walls where they shouldn't be (especially in kitchen refits) but can't recall a job where someone had hit a wire that shouldn't have been there. Which is probably the signal fot eh phone to ring ....

PJ

Brrrrrrr Brrrrrrr

The problem is that your normal everyday householder, does not have a clue where permitted safe zones are, and will not take in to consideration where accessories are located in respect of the cable routes.

Re #3 - what about sockets and switches on the walls orthogonal to the run of the boards?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back