Ground level and blue bricks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking to have some ground work done outside (patio and block paving) and wondered a couple of things....

1. What level drop should there be to the outside ground level. Can this be measured by a course of bricks?
2. With this ground work taking place, would it be worth replacing a course of bricks with the correct blue (not sure what they are called) type of bricks rather than my redland bricks which are currently down?

Thanks for any help & advice

Sponsored Links
Should be 2 courses below dpc level.
Are you seeing any problem? What level is your external ground at the moment? Do you have a suspended timber floor?

Thanks John.

Not seeing any problems at the moment but it was noted that the ground level was high at the back and the current patio was angled towards the house. Not had any ponding or water gathering over the last 3 years so that's good.

Level at front is 2 bricks and back is 1 and part of back is almost level.

Floor is concrete throughout.

Pics on here will probably help...
https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/ground-level-patio.484039/

Posted similar question a while ago but didn't get much response.

If it were me I'd lower it. Water not ponding can be a good thing, or can mean it's soaking into your house!
You can always make a trench with a drain grid over it.
Check out the web site paving expert for really useful diagrams.

Sponsored Links
Thanks John. So you certainly wouldn't aim to get the outside up to the insid in order to flow the kitchen onto the patio? I guess there are several ways to achieve this "correctly" or would you advise against doing this?

What's your advice on replacing bricks for the blue tough ones? Worth doing? Worth getting it done in the process? Is it difficult to be done?

Thanks

Well I'm not a builder but I wouldn't go replacing bricks except as a last resort. It's not likely to look good or help much.
You can bring the ground level up outside but you have to bring a waterproof layer up from dpc to 2 bricks above outside ground level and chased back into the wall. If you're not having issues already you can give it a go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back