Ground source heat pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I’m looking for info/advice about installing a underfloor heating system in a newbuild house. It’s miles out in the country, sits in 15 acres of land, and with no mains gas and the price of oil being high and only going to get higher, the heat will be provided by a ground source heat pump. The favourite unit so far is a Worcester Greenstore 11kw ‘system’ ground source heat pump. Has anyone got any experience of this unit? The spec reads very good i.e. max heat to heating system is 65 C. with a 2 year warranty and 25 year life expectancy. I’m told it’s simple technology and not to be afraid but it’s a friends house and they know where I live, so it has to work and work well!

Sponsored Links
Not into GSHP's yet but have a colleague who is big time. From what he says avoid Worcester at all costs :eek: I don't know enough to explain why but he runs on about them being prone to stalling or what ever.

What about an air source heat pump?
Check out Trianco's new 12KW ASHP a lot less hassle to fit than a GSHP.
Steve

My brother just installed one in a 3500 sq feet new build.
One guy laid the ground loop in a day. Four guys arrived the next day and installed the entire UF piping through out the build.
He tells me they are making about 5K a week. :eek:

Sponsored Links
Sandrounder wrote

Hello, I’m looking for info/advice about installing a underfloor heating system in a newbuild house

Do you have any experience on such a system ?.

I have never got involved with either elements of this system, to me CH involves rads and a boiler, this may not be rocket science but it's new to me. But I'm learning fast.

Sandrounder wrote

I’m told it’s simple technology and not to be afraid but it’s a friends house and they know where I live, so it has to work and work well!

I see.
After reading this statement I thought you were installing the system.
I take it you are advising your friend based on information you receive from this forum then.
My own conclusions based on exhaustive research on the viability of heat pump installation in domestic new build projects is not very positive in favour of such a system.
90 percent of the people you will talk to in the industry are salesmen over hyping their product. :(

Balenza, You were correct first time, I am installing the system. And I too have discovered that the salesmen (of heat pumps) state performance figures which other suppliers (UFH products) seem to think are very optimistic, that is part of the reason for my inquiry, it would be easy to design a system based on certain performance figures only to find them unachievable resulting in a cold ex friend.

What you will find with regard to heat pump installers is that they like to undertake the whole heating project.
The heat pump companys involved usually have their own branded pipework systems and components and supply bulk loads to their specially trained installers. So you will find yourself left out of the equation.

If you take the extra cost of the heat pump system over a conventional boiler system (maybe 6 -8 K ) and use this money instead to superinsulate the new build then you have something which will last a lifetime and make even the most inefficient and cheap oil fired boiler seem like a miser on fuel.

11kw heat pump £3500 - Not that much more than a 100k btu oil boiler, tank etc. Labour cost for installation of the geothermal pipe is nil.

We supply only or install Ground and air heat pumps, so if you want some free advice My email is in my profile.

Not allowed to advertise on here.

Ground sourse is the best at a COP of 5-1 Air is 3-1 both as a good average, and under certain conditions you can add another 10-20 % to that.

Whatever you do the system must be sized to fit the property or you will be wasting your money.

You should also consider solar for the hot water, and an alternative back-up system, especially for the hot water if you use a lot.

Sandrounder wrote

11kw heat pump £3500 - Not that much more than a 100k btu oil boiler,tank etc

The last oil boiler I purchased cost £450 and has over twice the power of your £3500 heat pump.
And I dont think the cost of a cylinder will make up the balance. :rolleyes:

Labour cost for installation of the geothermal pipe is nil.

I doubt if Doitall installs them for free or any other company for that matter.

As mentioned earlier the favourite (at the moment) is the Worcester, I will probably use one of their cylinders (280ltrs) as well, this comes with tails for connection to a solar system. I planned to fit the pipe work as far as the loft for possible connection at a later date. I know a HP is more expensive than an oil boiler but this house is not for sale, this type of heating system is an investment which I am sure will pay for itself in the savings over oil be it in 2-3-4 or 10 years. I know one thing for certain oil will not go down in price. 11 years ago I paid 6p per litre today it’s 40-45p how much will it be in another 10 years?

What size is the property and what type of build is being proposed. ?. (ie timber frame or cavity wall block or other )

Will a 11kw HP be sufficient ?

8-11kw would be plenty for an 4-5 bed new build that meet building regs insulation.

The Op would require 6-10 100m ground loops spaced at 600mm + centres.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back