Grounding an Appliance

Found all sorts of extenders and boosters but non that tick all my boxes. Most pickup a signal from a window sill antenna and then provide a WiFi signal to connect devices to. ... I will have 2 desktop PC's requiring ethernet connections and a ethernet based CCTV system, 2x TV's to connect up via ethernet cables etc. ... So several ethernet ports are required and the vast majority of boosters / extenders don't provide this. ... Hence the need for something more such as a teltonika RUTX11 mobile router, there are others to choose from. Ethernet ports and WiFi.
You only need to have one 'hard wired' ethernet port in order to turn that into and many as you want/need (using a cheap and cheerful 'ethernet switch' box).

I would hope that, even if it were primarily providing WiFi connections, anything you used would have at least one port - but if that were not the case you might have to contemplate using a second something (maybe some standard WiFi routers can do this?) connected by WiFi to the first one and providing some ethernet ports?

Others may well have some more clever ideas!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Do you get signal on a portable 4G WiFi access point indoors? I.e on a window sil or something?

Have you considered the starlink beta?

You won't need a giant antenna if your phone is getting good signal outside.

Microtik do a good range of devices. Not many devices will have routing ports built into the modem because that is consumer level rubbish.

Microtik do a good range of devices. Not many devices will have routing ports built into the modem because that is consumer level rubbish.
Indeed. As I said, if the device the OP used did not have any ports, I'm sure that there are plenty of things 'with ports' that could connected wirelessly to the WiFi - as I speculated, although I've never tried it (so therefore may be wrong!), I suspect that a good few standard Wifi routers can probably be used 'backwards' in that fashion.

Kind Regards, John

Do you get signal on a portable 4G WiFi access point indoors? I.e on a window sil or something?
Good Signal outside, nothing at all anywhere inside including windows.

Have you considered the starlink beta?
This is Satellite Broadband which can be troublesome and unreliable. Frequent drop-outs and the need to regularly reboot system.

Not many devices will have routing ports built into the modem because that is consumer level rubbish

Are you saying something's rubbish because it has integral ethernet ports!? I'm thinking the reverse, absence of ports makes them cheaper and not very adaptable or useful. I find WiFi access points troublesome whereas a good cable connection "ethernet cables" 100% reliable, secure and fast if the ports are gigabit ports. WiFi is great and it is but i find that it can be troublesome sometimes. I'll always plug a cable in where i can to get reliability.

Sponsored Links
Are you saying something's rubbish because it has integral ethernet ports!?
I wondered that, too :)

I suspect it probably more likely that he was saying that consumer products which are 'rubbish' may (as a result of being 'rubbish') not have ports - but I may be wrong!

Kind Regards, John

Indeed. As I said, if the device the OP used did not have any ports, I'm sure that there are plenty of things 'with ports' that could connected wirelessly to the WiFi - as I speculated, although I've never tried it (so therefore may be wrong!), I suspect that a good few standard Wifi routers can probably be used 'backwards' in that fashion.

You can use hubs, switches and routers to achieve this in different configurations. My own preference though is to reduce the number of boxes, devices to a minimum where i can and therefore reduce the need for all those extra wires, cables, devices and PSU's powering it up all mixed and intertwined with each other in a mess. I'd rather spend £600 on a pro device that gives you everything you need as a single device than end up spending more by adding this that and the other later as time goes by and ending up, tied up in knots with cables and wires all over the place if i can. Separate modems, routers and switches and so on does work but what a mess it can be.

You can use hubs, switches and routers to achieve this in different configurations. My own preference though is to reduce the number of boxes, devices to a minimum where i can and therefore reduce the need for all those extra wires, cables, devices and PSU's powering it up all mixed and intertwined with each other in a mess.
That's fair enough (although I would personally be far more concerned about functionality than the 'mess') - but, as I said, I would certainly have hoped that you would be able to find something that would interface with the mobile network which did have ports.

Kind Regards, John

I have narrowed down my selection of Mobile Routers to just three. All have 4 or more Gigabit ethernet ports and WiFi integrally and far more functionality within them than i will ever need. Two of them have "Ground Screws" on the casing. I'll need to find out if these routers require grounding and if they do, do they need either "Grounding To Ground" or if they simply need earthing into a lighting circuit in the loft or perhaps a ring main say in a bedroom somewhere.

I have narrowed down my selection of Mobile Routers to just three. All have 4 or more Gigabit ethernet ports and WiFi integrally and far more functionality within them than i will ever need. Two of them have "Ground Screws" on the casing. I'll need to find out if these routers require grounding and if they do, do they need either "Grounding To Ground" or if they simply need earthing into a lighting circuit in the loft or perhaps a ring main say in a bedroom somewhere.
Can you provide links to them?

How are they powered? As has been said, if their power supplies needed and earth connection, that would be provided via the mains connection (i.e. a '3-pin plug/lead).

Kind Regards, John

Co-linear antenna can have gain and be omni-directional
I missed this one earlier!

As I responded to winston, such an antenna only has 'gain' by virtue of being highly 'directional' in the vertical plane - they are only 'omni-directional' in the horizontal ('azimuthal') plane.

Kind Regards, John

Can you provide links to them?

How are they powered? As has been said, if their power supplies needed and earth connection, that would be provided via the mains connection (i.e. a '3-pin plug/lead).

upload_2021-3-11_19-26-31.png

So do i ignore the Grounding Screw as it is not needed and rely on the three pin plug to provide a route to ground?

Just get a cradlepoint branch router and be done with it!

I'm somewhat struggling to understand how an omni-directional antenna can be "('serious') high gain". Am I missing something?

Kind Regards, John

No, you not missing anything. Omni receives around 360 degrees, better/ higher gain means directional.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back