Grounding an Appliance

Sponsored Links
Just get a cradlepoint branch router and be done with it!

Not for me, if you have to ask how much then i can't afford. Having had a quick look they don't do it for me. I will explore what they have to offer later on in depth though.

Thank you Harry.

Had a closer look at Cradlepoints offerings, not for me. They are selling a complex and expensive service that happens to come with a Mobile Router which i think becomes a dead brick if your service subscription comes to an end.

Co-linear antenna do have a narrow vertical beam angle but it is wide enough ( vertically ) to be suitable for most TX to RX paths in the UK ( mountains excluded ).

The power supply in the image cannot supply a safety Earth to the equipment as the Earth pin is plastic,
The earth stud on the equipment may be a functional Earth for the radio equipment ( not a safety Earth ).

Sponsored Links
Thank you, Bernard,

If you were to use a Teltonika RUTX11 (https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/prod...MI26fc0sGo7wIVVe7tCh1XEgtpEAQYBCABEgJTgPD_BwE) Mobile Router what antenna would you buy?

I will have access to 3x 4G EE & Vodafone Mobile Masts at a distance of between 2 & 4 Miles away without obstacles in the way spread out horizontally by roughly 60 degrees. House is on a north facing valley side, masts are opposite on a south facing valley side. The sea can be seen to the east.

It'll have to be an external antenna in an exposed coastal (less than a mile from the sea) rural location. Best most robust reliable product to get the best fastest possible speed.

The power supply in the image cannot supply a safety Earth to the equipment as the Earth pin is plastic,
Indeed - which means that it (the PSU) does not require an earth (presumably because it is Class II).
The earth stud on the equipment may be a functional Earth for the radio equipment ( not a safety Earth ).
Again, indeed. The equipment itself is entirely ELV and does not require any 'safety earth'. Whether or not the equipment requires a 'functional earth' (for RF reasons) I couldn't tell you, but I very much doubt it (mobile phones work fine without an 'earth connection').

Kind Regards, John

Last edited:
Co-linear antenna do have a narrow vertical beam angle but it is wide enough ( vertically ) to be suitable for most TX to RX paths in the UK ( mountains excluded ).
I don't disagree with that but, in a place where people often demand 'precise/accurate technical terminology' I thought it a bit odd that something with a markedly restricted (albeit vertical) beam angle should be called 'omnidirectional'.

By definition ('Laws of Physics', if you like) an antenna can only have 'gain' (in comparison with a dipole) if its beam coverage is restricted (vertically and/or horizontally) to something less than "omni" :)

Kind Regards, John

The convention in the RF world seems to be that "isotropic" is used to reffer to an antenna that radiates equally in all directions, while the term "omnidirectional" is used for antennas that radiate equally in all horizontal directions but is non-uniform with different vertical angles.

Note that a truely isotropic antenna can't physically exist.

As the OP i'm sorry i don't understand a single word written here.

I'm hoping that someone can help me, someone who knows next to nothing about antennas etc.

Accepting that i may or may not need to use this Grounding Screw in some way and i will have to get advice from the product manufacturer to be certain i'd like to move forward and hope that someone could perhaps guide me in a way that i can purchase the best possible antenna for the Teltonika RUX11 mobile router. All things radio is a complete mystery to me.

Accepting that i may or may not need to use this Grounding Screw in some way and i will have to get advice from the product manufacturer ....
As I and at least one other have said, I see no reason why you need to use the groiunding screw - any more than you would need to find a way to 'ground' your mobile phone, even when it was plugged into a mains-powered charger.
to be certain i'd like to move forward and hope that someone could perhaps guide me in a way that i can purchase the best possible antenna for the Teltonika RUX11 mobile router.
I haven't got time to look at the moment, but don't the suppliers or manufacturers of it either sell, or at least recommend, a suitable antenna?

Kind Regards, John

That is still making them more 'directional', by reducing the vertical beam width.

Kind Regards, John
Indeed, but I was thinking about directionality in the horizontal plane rather than isotropically.

The convention in the RF world seems to be that "isotropic" is used to reffer to an antenna that radiates equally in all directions, while the term "omnidirectional" is used for antennas that radiate equally in all horizontal directions but is non-uniform with different vertical angles.
Fair enough.
Note that a truely isotropic antenna can't physically exist.
True, and I would think that there would only very rarely be a need to cover appreciably more than 'half the sphere', since one would normally have no interest in 'downwards' (unless, I suppose, one was in a flying aircraft or high up a tall mounting!)

Kind Regards, John

Having googled and then had a look on ofcoms website for information about the need for a licence to use this router with an antenna it would seem that a licence is not required in the uk up to 12 miles out at sea. Beyond 12 miles a licence is required.

Because the manufacturer has made a point of pointing out that the routers i'm looking at have grounding screws in the product descriptions and spec sheets i have emailed the manufacturer for more info about it. My thoughts are that if this grounding screw is not of interest to the end user and or the installer then why make a point of making a purchaser aware that it even exists within the specification and the description in the first place. So at the mo i'm assuming that it's presence has some significance otherwise why bother telling buyers it exists at all.

Having asked suppliers about antennas in general whilst searching for a suitable mobile router i'm getting the impression that it doesn't matter what antenna is chosen and used. Suppliers in my opinion just want to sell an antenna whether it's the right one or not for the job.

Having had a look at a number of marine and farming orientated forums about mobile broadband antennas, many inshore fishermen and farmers have tried all sorts, most fail to deliver. Some have changed the antenna they have more times than they have had hot dinners to settle for this one: https://www.solwise.co.uk/4g-antenna-omni-402 as being reliable, durable and one that gives the fastest speeds.

However........ It would seem in my very limited knowledge of all things antennas that a directional antenna would give me the greatest amount of gain.......... Just how directional is a directional antenna?

A very precise direction with an unmeasurable degree of error?
A very close direction with a narrow angle of directional accuracy?
A wider more tolerable degree of adjustment?

The masts that i will have access too are 2 to 4 miles away in direct unobstructed line of sight spread out over roughly 60 degrees. With a directional antenna will i have to pick one of them? or will such an antenna be able to use two or all of them?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back