Grounding an Appliance

I will not relay your comments to my (Irish) wife :) Maybe neither of us were as clear as we could have ben, but I think we are both saying essentially the same thing - and that it is winston who is 'out on a limb'

Mine (partner) is part Irish, mostly Scottish, with the accent and temper to match - so I have to be careful ;-(

Sponsored Links
It doesn't even need that as OP says the masts are LOS.
Sure, as I've just written, one could do it as accurately as one wanted to 'visually'.
When I replaced my TV aerial I looked along the boom and did the nut up, packed the ladder away then put the plug on the end of the new feeder.
Same here. From on top of my roof, I can easily see the mast of the repeater I am 'aming at'.
As it happens I understood the meaning of your post without any difficulty but then I'm experienced in the process and anyone with a modicum of similar experience will had had equally little difficulty understanding. So the fact that Winston didn't understand is a bit worrying as he claims to have vast experience in that part of the industry... oh perhaps his books on the subject are on the shelf with his lecky regs?
Indeed.

Kind Regards, John

Mine (partner) is part Irish, mostly Scottish, with the accent and temper to match - so I have to be careful ;-(
Fair enough. To be totally truthful, my wife is only 'three-quarters' Irish (has one non-Irish grandparent) - but that's more than enough :)

Kind Regards, John

Same here. From on top of my roof, I can easily see the mast of the repaeter I am 'amining at'.

Our transmitter is Emly Moor some 23 miles away - quite visible on a clear day, but usually hidden by the atmosphere. The easy way on such days, is with someone facing the antenna and aligning it on the reverse bearing.

Sponsored Links
Our transmitter is Emly Moor some 23 miles away - quite visible on a clear day, but usually hidden by the atmosphere. The easy way on such days, is with someone facing the antenna and aligning it on the reverse bearing.
Mine, on the northern outskirts of Oxford, is something like 16 miles away, but is usually clearly visible.

kind Regards, John

10 degrees is well within the reception width of your directional antenna - you will find it quite difficult to even align the direction of the antenna that accurately. Does this equipment support multiple sims, so you can access different providers at the same time?
Just to clarify, I took this to mean that with a beamwidth of 10° one would have difficulty pointing it exactly at the other end, especially withthe masts only a couple of miles away as a very strong signal would be seen over at least 10° but more likely 20 or 30°, in other word very far from difficult to do the installation.

I don't recall the beam width figure but when I purchased Ubiquity dishes I thought I may struggle to align them. The reality is the first was mounted on the mast and aimed in the expected direction with a tiny amount od elevation, the other end was cabled and connected and while I moved it around attatching it to the mast the person on the PC was seeing the link of 5 miles and once established didn't drop out despite rotation of 45° or so while adding the clamp and tightening. The final position was half way between the 2 points where the signal dropped to 100MBPs. I never did reclimb the first mast to tweek the aim.

Just to clarify, I took this to mean that with a beamwidth of 10° one would have difficulty pointing it exactly at the other end, especially withthe masts only a couple of miles away as a very strong signal would be seen over at least 10° but more likely 20 or 30°, in other word very far from difficult to do the installation.
As you will realise, that's precisely how I interpreted it, too.

Kind Regards, John

I live 18 miles from the Emley Moor transmitter and can’t receive a signal from it at all!

A vertical helical antenna on a car is horizontally polarised,

I've checked this and you are wrong.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helical_antenna

In the normal mode or broadside helical antenna, the diameter and the pitch of the aerial are small compared with the wavelength. The antenna acts similarly to an electrically short dipole or monopole, equivalent to a 1/4 wave vertical and the radiation pattern,[citation needed] similar to these antennas is omnidirectional, with maximum radiation at right angles to the helix axis.

I hadn't realised this John. We learn something every day.
Most of us do.

Were that (polarisation of GSM/LTE) not the case, I suspect that people might well have problems using their cellular phones whilst they were 'waving them about'.

This was take about 1993 and the corner reflector aerials can be seen on the gallery at the top of the pic
upload_2021-3-13_22-32-21.png

They consist of vertical stacked dipoles in a weather resistant radome [tube] in 2 reflector grills.
upload_2021-3-13_22-54-48.png

These would have been several years old at the time. by mid 90's the aerials made by CS Antennas [for example] were totally enclosed and made using 'stamped out' copper sheet as the elements and either vertical OR horizontal polarised, they would then deployed singly for single polarisation sites or in combinations of both to increase the number of channels available on site.

The next generation included both polarisations within the same radome:
Pic taken 2008 but still in use 2021.
upload_2021-3-13_22-50-42.png
The 2 feeders [vertical and horizontal] are visible at the bottom. 45° working can be achieved by correct phasing of H & V signals

The latest generation are multi aerial multiband units, these have 12 sockets, left has 4 feeders right has 8 but sorry not very clear from ground level with a cheap camera. I have no working knowledge of these but some also have some sort of control cable going to them.
upload_2021-3-13_23-5-37.png

Whilst talking about mobile phones, I have noticed that most people's don't seem to work unless they pace back and forth.

Mine works best when I'm sitting down.

Is there an explanation for this phenomenon?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back