grouping cables with ties???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all....i have just noticed that the cables that are running in the loft (for lights, sockets and shower) are not clipped to any battens or anything else..except in corners.... they are just bundled together with insulation tape or cable ties at a distance of about 18" apart..there are holes in the battens in a couple of places to feed wire through....is this the correct method or against any regs....

Sponsored Links
Cables are meant to be clipped (or secured in other ways) in any accessible areas......and a loft with a hatch is considered an accessible area.

But TBH - This is a reg that seems to be overlooked by MANY/MOST installers.

rastan said:
the cables that are running in the loft (for lights, sockets and shower) are bundled together with insulation tape or cable ties at a distance of about 18" apart......
I hope the effects of that have not been overlooked...

sorry...ban all sheds.....i dont know what you mean????is there a hazard in the way the cables are grouped together.....

Sponsored Links
rastan said:
sorry...ban all sheds.....i dont know what you mean????is there a hazard in the way the cables are grouped together.....
no, but there could be if allowances haven't been made for heat dissipation.

Cables get warm.
Lots of cables get hot.
Lots of cables tied together melt.

;) :LOL:

crafty1289 said:
[

Cables get warm.
Lots of cables get hot.

i dont think any allowances have been made....is it better if i cut the ties and insulation tape off and clip where possible......also is this a common overlooked problem.....because i,m sure ive seen it done like that in a mates brand new flat...

rastan said:
crafty1289 said:
[

Cables get warm.
Lots of cables get hot.

i dont think any allowances have been made....is it better if i cut the ties and insulation tape off and clip where possible......also is this a common overlooked problem.....because i,m sure ive seen it done like that in a mates brand new flat...

You should check the cable sizes - usually a loft only has lights and maybe a shower circuit. the shower cable will get warm with prolonged use, but grouping a light cable and a shower cable together isn't normally a problem - the lighting cable isn't normally loaded to capacity, especially upstairs. Where the real difficulties occur is, say, in a commercial premises where you have about 40 circuit cables leaving a DB in one piece of monster trunking :eek: this is where serious heat could build up if you're not careful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back