Grout and silicone advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

Appreciate anyone taking time to read and assist. I am tiling a bathroom roof to floor (including floor). The bathroom will have a mixer shower over the bath. I am wary re the products I use as I want to avoid any leakage. I know that the quality of the product has a part to play in avoiding this.

I am happy with the floor side (adhesive and grout) and wall adhesive as I managed to trace the appropriate BAL products (which I have used before and like. I was unable to trace my first choice grout for the walls and as I will be using a shower I want a good water resistant wall grout.

My problem is I live in Northern Ireland (had no such problems in England - you don't know how lucky you are :)) I have been round all the big places, small independents, plumbers and tilers wholesalers and they are very disappointing in the ranges they stock.

I have from friends house, unopened grout which is still well within its shelf life (and enough to complete the bathroom). I have just a plain white wall BAL grout for up to 3mm joints (will be spacing 2mm) and also a Dunlop wall grout (both powder). I have not used these before. Do you think they are adequate in water resistance for a mixer shower over a bath? Have you used them? what one would you use in my situation?

Many years ago I used an inferior product and water did get through the grout - Don't know how much of that was from product or poor work. (I have learned from that both in its application and in picking the right product for the job)

Also I am having trouble getting a silicone sealant for the job. When I have used BAL or Dunlop I have had no probs, but once again in this backward area I live in you wouldn't believe how hard they are to source. Unibond and Evo-stick are available every where I turn and they seem to be the best 2 options I have. Have not used either before - Are they adequate. I know I could source from the internet and pay mad delivery fees (you would need to live in NI to know about that) but I have a few days off to do the job and want to start tomorrow.

Any advice/opinions/experience much appreciated. Sorry for it being so long - wanted to give you all the info to enable you to offer informed advice.

Many thanks,
James

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Hi folks,

Appreciate anyone taking time to read and assist. I am tiling a bathroom roof to floor (including floor). The bathroom will have a mixer shower over the bath. I am wary re the products I use as I want to avoid any leakage. I know that the quality of the product has a part to play in avoiding this.

I am happy with the floor side (adhesive and grout) and wall adhesive as I managed to trace the appropriate BAL products (which I have used before and like. I was unable to trace my first choice grout for the walls and as I will be using a shower I want a good water resistant wall grout.

My problem is I live in Northern Ireland (had no such problems in England - you don't know how lucky you are :)) I have been round all the big places, small independents, plumbers and tilers wholesalers and they are very disappointing in the ranges they stock.

I have from friends house, unopened grout which is still well within its shelf life (and enough to complete the bathroom). I have just a plain white wall BAL grout for up to 3mm joints (will be spacing 2mm) and also a Dunlop wall grout (both powder). I have not used these before. Do you think they are adequate in water resistance for a mixer shower over a bath? Have you used them? what one would you use in my situation?

Many years ago I used an inferior product and water did get through the grout - Don't know how much of that was from product or poor work. (I have learned from that both in its application and in picking the right product for the job)

Also I am having trouble getting a silicone sealant for the job. When I have used BAL or Dunlop I have had no probs, but once again in this backward area I live in you wouldn't believe how hard they are to source. Unibond and Evo-stick are available every where I turn and they seem to be the best 2 options I have. Have not used either before - Are they adequate. I know I could source from the internet and pay mad delivery fees (you would need to live in NI to know about that) but I have a few days off to do the job and want to start tomorrow.

Any advice/opinions/experience much appreciated. Sorry for it being so long - wanted to give you all the info to enable you to offer informed advice.

Many thanks,
James

sorry fella just a bit of fun!

you cant usually go wrong with the bal grouts, i havent myself used dunlop but was warned its sub standard by others.

also you should avoid anything unibond, ive never used evo, but i hear they do a very good glue stick, no idea about the silicone.

if your in northern ireland wouldnt it be easier to get someone from England to buy silicone tubes here and post them to you royal mail if your really not finiding any alternatives?

you could pay them then instead of any inflated prices through the net

not sure im very helpful here i feel sorry!

:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back