grout blockage in shower waste trap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Im not sure if Im posting in the correct subheading so if it doesnt apply could someone let me know where it would be better to post.

The problem I have relates to a low level shower tray. There is a blockage which I have tried rodding, I have tried plunging it and tried using oneshot but nothing clears it. I have to assume that the blockage can only be caused by grout when the builders fitted it. The water currently drains very slowly

The trap seems to have a fixed centre with a ring round it where the water flows out the plug is chrome.(I dont know which make it is) Due to the type of trap I am unable to fit anything down from the shower end to unblock it and I have so far been unable to unblock it by any other means.

I dont want ot have to smash the shower tray to get to the trap.

Can anybody offer any ideas how I can get it unblocked as I dont what to have it fully blocked and the water then leak into the flat downstairs.

All help is appreciated Thank

Frank

Sponsored Links
The trap seems to have a fixed centre with a ring round it where the water flows out the plug is chrome.

Not sure what this means, but is the chrome centre flush with the shower tray floor and the water runs under it ? If that is the case then the chrome centre pulls up and out, get your fingers under the chrome all around it and pull. You may get lucky and find that your blockage is in there.

I assume you have other items, toilet, basin etc, that us the same soil stack and they drain OK ?

The crome trap will pop off and the centre bit inside should come out.

This allows the trap to be cleaned.

There is a chrome plug /stopper on top which is flush with the shower tray. I have taken this off however below this there is nothing else which is removable. just a fixed centre part with a ring shaped hole which allows the water to drain away around this.

The water runs into the same pipe as the bath and that shows no reduction in drainage speed.

When I use the plunger the water seems to be forced through but when it is allowed to drain normally it is very slow.

If it is grout that is causing the blockage is there anyway of loosening it ?

Will it help if I take a photo of it ?

Sponsored Links
Yes take a picture.

It may look like it doesn't come out, but it might!

I have added the photos showing the type of shower trap. The water seems to be pushed round the edge of the chrome colouered rim rather than going straight down and I cant get anything to go into the narrow gap Is this a standard fititng?
View media item 32476 View media item 32477

It was installed last year in may I know it looks older. It is made of chrome plated plastic

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back