Grout residue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Appolgies in advance if this has been asked on more than one occasion.

Anyway I grouted my bathroom floor tiles (black`ish slate) using BAL Superflex grey grout. I removed excess grout etc and have wiped them over with a clean damp sponge more times than I can remember now, but it always dries back with a white haze on the tile. Is there something than i`m not doing right? because I don`t want to apply the tile sealer until all this residue has gone.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Let it completely dry for 24hrs then buff off with an old towel. If that does not work use an emulsifying pad (like a plastic pot scourer) and water.

I'm assuming you sealed the tiles before grouting.

Jason

Cheers for the reply and advice Jason, I give the tiles about 3 coats of sealer before I grouted them

Sponsored Links
nellyb said:
What sort of sealer did you use? Brand and type.
mrs teash picked up some 'plasplugs tile sealer' don`t all boo at once from a big DIY outlet.
Personally i`m not convinced by it because i`d have thought (and I might be wrong) but surely it should have put a sort of coating on the tile to stop the penetration of water but stepping out of the shower and onto the tile it seems to soak the water up.
:oops:

Plasplug is not the best product on the market :cry:

If the sealer is an impregnator it will soak into the stone and leave little if any affect to the finish, on slate this will give you the look as it came out of the box/crate.

If the sealer was an enhancer, it still soaks in to some extent but also builds a film on the surface, This will give slate the look of when its wet - darker and and with a sheen.

I tend to use lithofin products but as you have started with the plasplug it will be best to stick with it as other finishes may react badly.

Any of the flexible grouts tend to leave more of a film as the polimers that make it flexible are diluted by the cleaning water and dry on the surface, its just a case of keep chaning the water for clean.

Jason

Both HG Marble impregnator and Lithofin Stainstop 'plus' will impregnate/seal the stone and also enhance the colour. This colour enhancement usually disguises minor grout misting. The only problem as Jason has said is that used some 'plasplugs' stuff that may react adversely with these other branded products. Not knowing the 'plasplugs' range I couldn't say.

Have a look in the plasplugs range and see if they produce a grout film remover suitable for slate and a colour enhancer. HG & Lithofin do one. If they don;t, you could try using either Lithofin or HG products in a discreet area as a test spot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back