Grout with dark patches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
I wonder if anyone could help to shed some light on this issue?
We fitted an ensuite last autumn and since the spring we've a number of dark patches appearing in the grout along the first tile line of the shower cubicle and just outside of it. As there was a fault in the sealant between the shower tray and wall, we removed the sealant and left a heater going for a couple of hours a day for a couple of weeks to try dry it out. Hubby had been under the floor and confirmed that there was some moisture so our thinking was to dry it out and re Silicone. Whilst the heater was on, the patches faded but by the next day they'd be back again. We've since been away so the shower hasn't been used for over a month now but the patches are still there. If the room is warm I.e the underfloor heating is on, the patches fade but if the room is cool they're right there again! We're scratching our heads over this since although the offending wall is back to earth, the wall was dry when we commenced the work. We fitted Kingspan insulated plaster board before taping seams and mapei waterproofing. Plumbing was checked before we tiled and the patches aren't in line with any plumbing joints behind the wall. In any case, these patches aren't spreading but they're not permanently going away either much to my annoyance and bemusement. I'd of thought by now everything would have dried out? I'll upload a photo when they're at their worst but it's sods law that today they're having a good day and aren't so visible. In the meantime does anybody have any ideas? Hope you can help!

Sponsored Links
Any chance you can upload a few pictures. Up close and zoomed out?

If you wet a brick it looks darker. When it dries it doesn't. Therefore you have damp issues. When the damp is there the stain shows up. When it's dry it doesn't.

Sponsored Links
2015-08-09 15.27.37.jpg
2015-08-09 15.30.10.jpg
Thank you for your responses. Please see photos enclosed. Unfortunately I've had to wet with my finger to show you where the patches show up because today they're behaving due to the warm weather but ultimately when they show up this is what they look like. We've been under the floor again and boss confirms that the pipes and everything else under there is bone dry. I accept that the problem may be damp but wouldn't that spread? And if there is damp why just show up there in the same patches every time if the whole wall behind is treated the same? Wouldn't damp turn into mould too?
Regards and appreciate your time and advice

Attachments

• 20150809_150144.jpg
    20150809_150144.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 160

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back