Grout shading

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I’ve just started to grout my tiles with mapei charcoal grout and have noticed that there are a couple of areas where it has dried lighter. I’m not a tiler just a diyer. Mixed the grout with clean water as per instructions until creamy, left a couple of mins and mixed again. I finished my tiling over a week ago in which I used a grey adhesive. See pics
AF317735-B9C2-4A5D-BAA9-682F95BB7552.jpeg

Happy with this grout line
B2B1C7DB-07F7-4567-A029-55057FB42CFA.jpeg

Grout line gone lighter all along
3CBDBF1D-6725-45BD-910E-305C09161A95.jpeg

Grout line gone lighter in middle
A7E100E7-9F38-4D46-9CB3-F63214A7749F.jpeg

I have only grouted one wall so far, I thought it was grout haze as after sponging the area above and below was a very light grey haze on the tile which i buffed away, but it the grout line does not buff away. If I wet the grout line it goes dark like the colour on the bag and like the grout line I’m happy with. Each grout line had no dried grey adhesive in it they were all the same, not sure why it has dried differently. Any ideas why or how I can sort? Would grouting over again help

Sponsored Links
don’t grout over it. have you left it long enough to cure and dry out properly?

Sponsored Links
As said it could be that you've over wet it or it's not quite dry yet. If the tiles are porcelain the grout will take longer to dry. If the colour doesn't improve try running a small piece of sandpaper over the joints to remove the very outer layer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back