Grouting fiaso: film of grout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any useful grouting tips? My tiles are 33 cm x 23 cm wall tiles. Using pre-mixed grout and a rubber edged grout spreader. Then I use a sponge across the joints at 45 degrees.
* I find I am getting a thin film of dried grout, despite using a sponge & bucket of water to wipe the tiles over a couple of times. How do I avoid this? And what's the best way to remove the film if it dries?
* Also, I find I am having to grout each section of tiles twice. The first grouting line tends to "slump" into a V-shape, leaving a crack down the middle. Going over this the next day tends to solve the problem. But it is very time consuming.

Mike

Sponsored Links
the best tip i can give you is never use ready mixed grout.

As mentioned, it's shrinking back because it's pre-mixed. You don't get that with powdered grout. Bin the stuff.

Thanks, but as I've done 2 walls using pre-mixed grout its a bit late in the day to change to powdered. The grout is a sickly shade of beige that my be hard to find in powdered form...

I seem to be sorting out the thin film of grout problem, by sponging everything down a couple of more times than previously.
Mike

Sponsored Links
Green scotchbrite pad and hot water will remove dried on grout. Just make sure it doesn't mark the tile though.

I usually find that provided it is just a film and not lumps of grout, you can wait till the joints are completely dry then wipe the film off with a damp cloth and polish the tiles rubbing fairly hard with a dry cloth. You can get these rough canvassy cloths, I think they are called "scrim"? They're ideal both wet and dry for this type of thing. Anyway don't go so mad trying to remove the film before it dries that you upset your grouting joints before they dry, because it's not necessary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back