Tile Grouting Help Needed ASAP.... PLEASE!! :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

This is my first post on this forum, so would like to take the time to say hello to everyone :)

I have spent the past few days (many hours) removing the grout and caulk from the tiles in my bathroom, been out to |Homebase and bought some grout, a sponge and a spreader.. started grouting tonight and i am not happy with the finish at all!!

The Grout in parts looks thin and rather anemic, and i can see a tiny bit of the sides of the tiles

Once grouting is all done can i grout over where i have already grouted?? will this work and still achieve satisfactory results??

Also what on earth have i done wrong to end up in this mess??

I apologize for creating a new post on this topic if this problem has already been talked about before, just that it is almost 5.45am and i need a few hours sleep, as i have a busy day ahead attempting to do more "decorating" :(

thanks in advance

Simon

Sponsored Links
What brand of grout have you used? It soiunds like you have wiped it over too soon, or woped up along the lines rather that at 45 degrees.

You could try and apply a smear of grout over the top, but I wouldn't.

You tend to get what you pay for with tiling products, quality trade products do what they claim but, TBH, the DIY stuff is mostly crap. I also see you’ve used an all in one “tile n grout” product which is about the worst thing you could have chosen & no pro tiler would ever use it. If you’ve exposed the sides of the tiles, it may be you’ve wiped too soon or, as 1john, the technique you used has removed too much but I would be inclined to think it’s down to the quality of the product you’ve used. If you try to grout over the existing without raking out, the thin sliver of new grout will very quickly crack & fall away. The only way of rectifying it now is to rake it all out & re-grout using a a quality trade product. I mainly use use BAL Microflex for walls but there are other quality products available.

Sponsored Links
..tile n grout.... :evil: ....be better sticking the tiles to the wall with...blue tak... ;)

Update.

I am happy to say that after popping back to homebase to pick up some more grout, i got some Unibond grout in powder form and i have since applied it to the wall i did not do due to running out of grout and i have to say i am pretty amazed at the results!!

If i can get the whole bathroom looking liking the wall i have just done then i can honestly say that i would be very impressed.

As for the technique i used, well this guy pretty much taught me everything i know about grouting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuIQReUykqw

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me, next time before hastily jumping into a new task i am unsure of, i will be sure to ask you guys first ;)

Thanx again! :)

Sadly if you had read some posts you wouldn't have used any unibond products, but if the results are good and you are happy then thats all that matters.

I am happy to say that after popping back to homebase to pick up some more grout, i got some Unibond grout in powder form
and i have since applied it to the wall i did not do due to running out of grout and i have to say i am pretty amazed at the results!!
Unfortunately the stuff you’ve replaced the all in one with is only marginally better. As I said previously, DIY products sold by the big sheds are mainly crap, you need to use quality trade products for the best results. A quality grout will contain an antibacterial formula which is important to prevent mould growth & limescale staining.
If i can get the whole bathroom looking liking the wall i have just done then i can honestly say that i would be very impressed.
Well if it looks better than before OK but bear in mind what I’ve said above.
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me, next time before hastily jumping into a new task i am unsure of, i will be sure to ask you guys first ;)
As with anything you do, it always pays to do some detailed research first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back