Grouting "natural" limestone floor tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I've laid some 60x40 limestone floor tiles and need to do the grouting now. However, the tiles have groves, indentations and "features" in them which won't look good with grout in them. What's the best way to avoid filling all the spaces with grout? Here's a piccy, though it's hard to really see what I mean unfortunately.
Also, it's a large area and I don't think I'll be able to do it all in one day - is it OK to do it in stages, or will the joins between the grout sections look bad and/or be weak & come loose over time?

Thanks a lot,
Adam

Sponsored Links
Limestone is usually very porous and most recommend that you seal it before grouting (to help prevent grout staining the face of the tile and help you clean off) and seal after the grout has dried.

Lithofin MN Stainstop is very good (http://www.pureadhesion.co.uk/lithofin-mn-stain-stop-natural-stone-impregnator-sealer-1-litre.html). Limestone can drink a huge amount of it though so it costs.

You aren't going to stop grout getting into the grooves and features but sealing before should help you clean them out but it'll probably be hard work.

Bal protective sealer might help: http://www.toppstiles.co.uk/tprod4890/section0/BAL-Protective-Sealer-25-LTR.html

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I've sealed the tiles already, but was just wondering if there were any tips on how best to deal with the irregular surface - but I guess it's just going to be much more tedious that the "wipe on, wipe off"-type process for smooth tiles!

Adam

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back