Grout colour on floor tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All

I'm in the process of tiling our new downstairs bathroom and hallway. The tiles I'm using are 30cmx30cm beige (ochre) porcelain. My other half wanted to use an ivory grout and the tile shop supplied us with granfix limestone grout which I'm assuming is an ivory cream colour?

One of my relatives has advised against using limestone/ivory grout on floor tiles particularly in the hallway as they said the grout would show the dirt easily. I know it's a light colour but it's not white. My question therefore is in most people's experience is it wise to use limestone grout on floor tiles - particularly in the hallway - or should I opt for a darker colour? I'm using 3mm spaces between the tiles.

A quick further question is the tiles are described as natural, unpolished porcelain - will I need to seal them once they are down and if so what's the best product to use?

Any advice gratefully received.

Matthew

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't recommend anything other than grey grout on the floor.

Beige/Ivory will go dirty and you'll be unable to clean it because any cleaner worth using will have some sort of bleaching agent in it. So your grout will end up white'ish anyway and still look grubby.

Anyway, from the sounds of it, your tiles sound a bit rustic to me so to use any other colour than grey (impersonating a 1:1 sand and cement grout from the olden days) will look a bit naft - IMHO.

I'm saying that the grey grout won't get dirty. But, when it does, it won't look dirty just 'darker'.

As for sealing them, I've never seen a porcelain tile that needed it. But, if you're concerned, ask the retailer or look here

Looking after unpolished porcelain tiles

Hope this helps.

Regards

Paul Eamonn

Yes, many thanks for the advice Paul. The more I've looked into it the more the idea of a using a grout other than grey seems a bad idea. So grey it is!

Thanks again

Matthew

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back