Using floor grout on walls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm about to be tiling my toilet floor / walls and have a question. I'm tiling the floor in beige, and have some grout/adhesive in this colour. I know it's not a good idea to use the floor ahesive on the walls, however if I use some spare wall adhesive I have (which is white from the kitchen) can I then grout it using the floor grout?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm about to be tiling my toilet floor / walls and have a question. I'm tiling the floor in beige, and have some grout/adhesive in this colour.
What is the toilet floor, concrete or wood? What size/type are the tiles? What adhesive & grout are you using; please don’t say fix-n-grout :cry:

I know it's not a good idea to use the floor ahesive on the walls
On the contrary, if laying larger format tiles on the walls you should only use cement powder adhesive due to the weight.

however if I use some spare wall adhesive I have (which is white from the kitchen) can I then grout it using the floor grout?
It’s important to use the correct adhesive for the application; tub mix adhesive is not suitable for floor tiling. Floor grout can be used on walls but is generally coarser than wall grout for use with wide grout joints; walls tend to have narrow grout lines which will always look better with wall grout.

It’s not a good idea to economise on adhesive & grout & use only quality trade products not chaepo DIY stuff.

I'm about to be tiling my toilet floor / walls and have a question. I'm tiling the floor in beige, and have some grout/adhesive in this colour.
What is the toilet floor, concrete or wood? What size/type are the tiles? What adhesive & grout are you using; please don’t say fix-n-grout :cry:

Concrete floor, 30 x 30 tiles and I haven't got the adhesive / grount yet. Wife used the tub stuff and had a large nightmare in the kitchen when it didn't set for about 10 days!

Sponsored Links
Concrete floor, 30 x 30 tiles and I haven't got the adhesive / grount yet.
Use a cement powder adhesive on the floor & with tiles that size/weight also the walls. Standard adhesive/grout is OK for concrete floors but use flexible adhesive/grout on stud/boarded walls but it must be the correct backing if it’s going to last. If tiling over gypsum plaster/plasterboard, it must be primed when using cement based adhesive to avoid reaction between the cement & gypsum.

Wife used the tub stuff and had a large nightmare in the kitchen when it didn't set for about 10 days!
You shouldn’t use tub redimix on floors, it relies on evaporation rather than chemical reaction to set & is it’s not the correct adhesive.

Do yourself a favor & buy some new grout & make sure you use a quality products; for 20 quid or whatever, it’s not worth taking the risk. I use BAL but Mapei (available at B&Q), Webber, Ardex are all good; just avoid the stuff mostly sold at the DIY sheds, I think the name ends in “Blond”, “Bond” or something like that, sorry I cant remember. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back