grouting without filling stone texture

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have about 5m2 of 3inch square floor tiles to lay, in the dry(er) parts of my bathroom. They are billed as marble, though I would say closer to limestone, and have a very open texture, with cavities and voids as part of the stone character. I'm hoping this will also give me a good non slip surface.
When it comes to grouting, I don't want to fill all the stone texture with grout.
I'm assuming I'll be able to find readymix grout in cartridges, and gun it into the joints as 'pointing', and then out with the surgical glove and wet finger! No joy yet on grout cartridges on t'internet, though.
any leads/recommendations? (chipboard substrate on joists at 16inch centres)
Failing that, I'm contemplating using an icing bag. Seriously!
any better ideas?

many thanks

pie

Sponsored Links
Have you considered sealing the tiles first? Not with silicone sealant but with stone sealer, available from Wickes and such like.

Hi HandyJon
I definitely will be sealing the tiles first - I've got one of the HG range wax sealers lined up. The texture of the stone is on a much larger scale, though, cavities up to the size of say, lentils, which I'm sure would tend to catch the grout...

Don't use a readymixed grout, use something like BAL widejoint grout with GT1 additive which will make it flexible and more waterresistant.

This has a gritty texture and can be applied with a pointing trowel like sand/cement( I have done it this way on slate floors) or get a pointing gun from screwfix #17951, looks like a mastic gun but you fill it yourself.

Jason

Sponsored Links
many thanks for the pointers, Jason.
I didn't know that the pointing gun existed, but I was hoping. It sounds like just what I need.
cheers
pie

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back