GRP Balcony leaking into garage below

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a stone built lounge, with a small balcony, attached to the main house.
It sits over the garage.

Moved in a month ago and now spotted that there is a small amount of water coming through the garage. When we moved in, it was throwing it down and there were no leaks then.
It looks to have occured before as the area has new board screwed into place I am not entirely sure how they fixed it before though ...

The balcony isn't that wide and looks to have a grp or paint layer on it.
Unfortunately, we didn't inherit any documentation and don't know the age of implementation

On removing the board (before it gets too soggy to reuse) I can see that it looks like the original structure is wooden beams with some sort of concrete layer on top.

It's hard to see exactly how and where the water is running in, but there isn't much sat on the balcony and it's hardly a flood into the garage.

Can I just wait until spring, sand and clean the balcony and apply a GRP layer over whatever is currently there ? Is there anything I can do in the meantime to keep the water off my garage full of old motorcycles ?

Do I need to post pictures ?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
edit.

Looks like there are RSJ's in there - plus boards and sizeable wood rafters
Just looks like concrete on the outside ... not entirely certain now.

I cannot see where the water is coming from - probably pooling in the plastic

Attachments

• 20170130_162407.jpg
    20170130_162407.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 114
  • 20170130_162428.jpg
    20170130_162428.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 120
  • 20170130_162722.jpg
    20170130_162722.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 112

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back