GRP roof delamination

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I fibre glassed my single story kitchen extension a few years ago, its is still water tight but I have noticed that slowly it is bubbling up in places and starting to delaminate, and the top coat is already looking faded and the yellow underneath is starting to show, my worry is I don't know if this will stay in one area or if it all will fail in time....so, because I don't want to rip it up and start again ..can I board over with 9mm osb board because I want to keep the weight down and then glass?
I'm also looking at other options like felting or rubber roofing over?
I was also thinking about screwing down the delaminated areas to prevent from moving and then using something like liquid rubber roofing and scrim over? but I've heard somewhere that grp roofs give off a vapour or something and prevent stuff sticking to it?

What do you think are my best options?

Thanks
Kev

Sponsored Links
Well if you sand back the delaintion areas then reapply fibre class then top coat.

The good thing is that it is still water tight, so you can wait until good weather.

Post some pictures.

Andy

Sponsored Links
When you say sand it back do you mean literally just sand it? Or do I cut out the delaminated area first and then patch?

As above, you need to sand the topcoat off, grind out the delaminated bit(s), patch the glass then topcoat.
When you grind the failed bits out you may find that the osb has gone soggy, usual fail here is pinholes in the topcoat allowing moisture into the glass which is a bit porous, freeze/thaw will do the rest of the damage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back