Grundfos 15-50 130

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I replaced my central heating pump with some cheap thing off Amazon and I suspect it's a pile of rubbish as from installation it's been like a jet taking off in the airing cupboard and now the boiler just keeps locking/overheating and I have to press the button to reset it. I've tried bleeding the pump and the radiators and that seems fine BUT it does sound like there's air in the system still so no sure.

Anyway, the old one was a Grundfos 15-50 130 and I want to replace it again with a Grundfos one. But I'm not sure which one to go for. The one I'm looking at is this:

“New Model” GRUNDFOS UPS3 15-50/65 Pump - Replaces UPS2 15-50/60

This is what came up when I searched for mine. From what I gather, the 130 bit is just the face length and this one says it'll replace all 130mm face length pumps. The rest seems to match.

Could someone confirm, or suggest a pump that might be better, please.

Sponsored Links
Ah! Just found an answer on Screwfix that says "If you have a 15-50 130 then this is the pump for you". So I think I'll grab one of them and bin the one I fitted less than a week ago. Buy cheap, buy twice!

You will still need to bleed it. The symptoms you describe are classic air locks. If the pump was noisy, then it was turning. Are you sure the pump valves have not stuck?

99% sure as when I first fitted it the heating seemed to be really efficient. Looking at the stats for the thermostat, on days when the outside temp was similar, it went from 7 hours to get the house from about 16 degrees to 19 degrees down to about 4 hours. But the pump was noisy then. In the last day, it's just got worse and now the boiler will fire a couple of times and then lock.

I've ordered the Grundfos one anyway. The one I fitted was £35. Just seems like a false economy in hindsight.

I think when I bleed the pump, I get all the air out. But it seems like there is air in the system somewhere. I've done all the rads and the pump 3 or 4 times. But it's like there's a pocket of air in the system. Every time it gets to the pump, you get this really loud noise like the pump is spinning in air, then it will go quiet again. Obviously, I will need to get that out even once I've put the new pump in but I'm not sure how. Is it a case of just bleeding everything over and over until I get it all out?

Sponsored Links
I have a Grundfos pump and I used to get that frequent 'whoosh' like some bubbly air pocket was going around the system. It still remained when I had the system converted to a sealed one. It also remained when I had a new boiler fitted. It didn’t bother me but I posted a picture of my boiler and muggles on here suggested a Spirovent deaerator. I fitted it and have had complete and absolute silence ever since. I’ve also never had to bleed any air out of my system.

I have a Grundfos pump and I used to get that frequent 'whoosh' like some bubbly air pocket was going around the system. It still remained when I had the system converted to a sealed one. It also remained when I had a new boiler fitted. It didn’t bother me but I posted a picture of my boiler and muggles on here suggested a Spirovent deaerator. I fitted it and have had complete and absolute silence ever since. I’ve also never had to bleed any air out of my system.

That looks interesting. Where did you fit it?

0D0D9C55-16F6-4D6A-A4B5-E40F9C29AF95.jpeg
Right on the outlet of the boiler, the nearer the boiler the better.

I think that might be a good job for while there's nothing better to do. The only problem I have is that the boiler is on the kitchen wall and there is very little space between the top of the boiler and where it goes through the ceiling.

Just check you havn't fitted the wrong way round, as then it could suck air , thats if its an open vented system

Just check you havn't fitted the wrong way round, as then it could suck air , thats if its an open vented system

The arrow on the pump body was the same as the old one so I'm guessing that's not it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back