GU10 (240V) halogen lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help! Halogen lights (240V) keep blowing

My husband and I have just installed a number of Halogen lights, which take GU10 (240V) light globes. The globes keep blowing and often trip the fuse box. We have had an electrician in who can't find any problems with wiring or overloading of the circuit. The electrician said that the GU10 lights are prone to blowing as they overheat very easily. He has suggested that we try a different brand of globes to see if this helps.

1. Have other people had the same problem?
2. Are there any suggestions on how we might fix our problem?

I look forward to any help with this!

Sponsored Links
When a bulb blows it can often trip the MCB.
If they are blowing regularly there is obviously something wrong - are they installed exactly as the instructions state with all relevant clearances (above and below). They do get quite hot! Have you replaced the correct type of bulb? GU10 and GZ10 are very similar but often not interchangable as one type reflects heat back and the other forwards. Check the specs on the lights - or instructions.

We have lots of problems with lampholder faults causing the lamps to fail.

As halogen lamps run very hot, the holders warp and arcing starts. This causes the contact to get even hotter, causing more arcing. Eventually the lamps fail or the legs of the lamps burn out.

Our solution to occasional lamp replacements is to change the lamp.
The solution to regular lamp replacements is to change the lampholder. These are about 90p.

Had exactly the same problem; the problem for us was the heat. I just swapped out the 50w bulbs for 30w bulbs, and although a slightly dimmer light, we hardly noticed since we had 8 spots on the ceiling. The 30w bulbs run much cooler and last well over 12 months as opposed to the 8 - 10 months we were changing the 50w bulbs.

My own theory on the issue is that the heat is being trapped within the cavity floor between the upper and lower floors. In the loft, you can avoid this over-heating problem by removing a section of loft insulation above each of the lights, allowing the heat to escape upwards into the attic.

Sponsored Links
In the loft, you can avoid this over-heating problem by removing a section of loft insulation above each of the lights, allowing the heat to escape upwards into the attic.

you shouldnt have any over the lights in the loft, if your messy with your insulation you can get caps to go over them

FF120_top.jpg

Changed mine for gu10 led [240volt] straight swap, no heat, 10 year life.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back