Guest house heating system - electric

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

Have read through a few threads on this forum before for advice and now its time for me to ask for some direct advice!

We are in the process of planning a small ski chalet that we are building ready for next winter season and as we are only going to be working on electric I wanted to ask for some advice, so here goes!

Building information;
3 bedrooms all ensuite with living room/dining room kitchen area.
Total floorspaces 120m squared. Lounge area with 4m high pitched roof area, all bedrooms with 2.4m high ceilings.

We dont really have the space for a gas and flumed system, so this is why we are aiming for electric at the moment.

The main issues being for consideration;

:- Up to 11 people, all showering within an hour once in the morning and in the evening - before and after skiing, so enough water supply needed (for our 18 bedded chalet we have 500litres which is just about enough but it is Gas and has 2 burners)

:- Temps get very cold here, regularly -20 degrees during winter.

:- living room will have fireplace air venting through to the bedrooms as a back up for extra hot air circulation.

:- Radiator system also to provide underfloor heating for 3 small bathrooms.

;- house will have A* exterior and interior insulation

So, im looking for a heating and water system that will be quick to reheat and busy times, as efficient as possible (traditional hot water radiator system or stand alone radiators) and able to deal with the temps that we get down to....... I know its a lot to ask but when im searching all i can find is sales rather than advice!

Sorry if that is a long first post but just trying to get the main points across from the start!

if there is any questions please just let me know!!

all the best,

paul.

Sponsored Links
not even a little bit of advice?!?

totally stuck and unable to find out what KW etc we need.

thanks.

i havent got a clue
are you uk or slovakia based ??
how much is a kw off electric or gas
do you have off peak and peak rates ??

Sponsored Links
Only frigging asked yesterday. :rolleyes:

ha yeah sorry, i just saw it slip way down and not being used to the forum decided a little bump would help out :)

the price of MWh is £60, and we currently use around 6000KWh a year - gas is out of the question sadly. The rates are fixed throughout the day on the current program we are on but trying to get it switched to a more suitable program once we translate the options!

Im british, and all the years we have lived over here we have found that everything is cheaper in the uk, so we buy all of our boilers, tvs, fridges etc in britain to make it cheaper - building a new house is no different, all the materials are cheaper in UK!

Really concerned about the power of something that is going to be able to look after 11 people showering at the same time - thats the biggest worry.

thanks again.

the price of MWh is £60, and we currently use around 6000KWh a year - gas is out of the question sadly.
Are you sure of your figures? 6000kWh is 6MWh, so your annual electricity bill would be only £360.

the price of MWh is £60, and we currently use around 6000KWh a year - gas is out of the question sadly.
Are you sure of your figures? 6000kWh is 6MWh, so your annual electricity bill would be only £360.

nope not sure at all - from my translation of the electric contract it says the price is as above, but when i did the calculation of the actual bill to KWh it worked out at 17p per KWh

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back