Guide to hanging an internal door anyone?

And is there a convention for whether a door opens into a room, or out from a room? My house has most of the doors opening into the rooms, but with some the opposite.

I ask because the ensuite bathroom and the downstairs WC are both pretty small rooms and having the doors open into them really makes the rooms feel even smaller. With my ensuite I have changed the frame to have the door opening into the bedroom, which not only gives a greater feel of space in the ensuite, but also means I can stand at the basin having a shave without the possibility of getting bumped by the door, which previously happened on a number of occassions!

The only problem I can see by doing the same with the downstairs WC is that you enter via the small utility room and the doors are set at 90 degrees to each other which means that both of them would open into the utility room and could then collide, unless of course I put the utility room door on the other way and have that open into the kitchen! Interestingly the door from the hallway into the kitchen opens into the kitchen, so I don't see putting the other door into the utility room the same way round as being a problem.

Thoughts?

I am considering putting reclaimed pine doors on in replacement for the horrible £10 B&Q white cardboard filled doors that the house was built with. Strippex in Crewe can supply them at about £60 each, which I think is very reasonable, trouble is the current doors are quite narrow and tall (78" x 27" x 1 3/8") and he doesn't get many doors that size. The problem seems to be to get a door that is narrow enough to plane down to size means it is not tall enough. He can add a strip to the bottom of the door, but I am not sure about how this looks. Anyone fitted these and seen the finished product? Does it look strange with a 4 panel Victorian door with a strip attached to the bottom?

The other option is getting doors made from reclaimed timber to fit exactly. I have had two quotes, one £250 per door, the other about £180. Anybody had experience of this and does it work well? I am going to change all the doors eventually, but probably couldn't justify the whole outlay in one go. What do you reckon? Money is an object, but I would rather spend more if the cheaper option won't look right. Anybody on here a chippy who makes doors near South Cheshire?!?

Thanks for your tips so far.

PP

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back