Gulley been covered by ridge tiles by neighbours roofers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a semi detached property next door had a new roof fitted, came home today and found on house front side of the roof in the middle between the house where they used to be a gulley they have covered it with ridge tiles cemented on both sides :eek:. The gulley ran from the shared chimney breast down to the front of the roof where it then went down guttering.

I don't have a good picture to hand so this is the best I have, the ridge tiles have been put down the front from the top of the chimney to the about 20 cm before the bottom. http://img.findaproperty.com/gibbs-gillespie/pinner/dp110059930.jpg?v=7

The guys who did the roof didnt use and scaffolding and it looks to be a cheap job. Regarding the covering of the gulley with ridge tiles is this ok to do or will it cause problems ? I can't help feeling they put them there to cover some bodge up as the gulley was re-done when my roof was done about 5 years ago so was in good nick. Also I take it my neighbours should of asked for permission to do this as the joining part of the roof and to be frank it now looks very ugly ?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Do you mean the ridge tiles are down the slope or along the box gutter?

If it's down the slope then I assume a different type of tile was used on their roof (is that an after photo or before?) and that being the case (which is perfectly normal BTW) there should be soakers your side of the bond (we call it `bonding deluxe' in our 40 year old labour sheets lol). If they used plain tiles the same as yours (in size too) then no need for ridge bond, just interleave.

Permission isn't really required to bond to your roof TBH unless it encroaches across the party wall but it is courtesy to let you know.

The fact it was done without scaffold just astounds me! No way carried out by bona fide roofers if that is the case

Spoke to the builder next door today, apparently he didn't do the work but the owners had someone else do it and he was shocked too about the lack on scaffolding, infact turns out the council visited them yesterday and told them to stop working, but they had completed most of it.

That picture is before the new roof went on and the gulley was in the slope and above the shared wall, they only need to tile up to the gulley and leave it as thats what seperated my roof from theres, the gully ran done the length of the party wall. I really dont understand why they put ridge tiles down there as there was no need for it at all unless they were trying to cover up some dodgy work there side.

I got my ladder out this morning and popped up and as well as covering up the gulley with ridge tiles, in doing so they have nearly completely blocked the valley that ran down the vertical bit :( as well as leaving it blocked with cr*p. The builder on site there also had a look and was not impressed, problem is its probably to late to put it back as is as they have cemented the ridge tiles in. Time to talk to the neighbour and get him to sort it.

Sponsored Links
Something you might like to point out to your neighbour is that they could well get a fine from the council if building control weren't advised about the works, nothing to do with planning per se but BC have to be informed so they can advise re any upgrade of insulation required and BC require to sign off the work to say it meets current regs (as far as is possible)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back