Gulley Pot Repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have recently moved into our home 1880s built terrace. I have noticed our rear rainwater drain gulley has a few cracks in! After a good clean and scrub it seems to only be the clay top cracked and the inlet spout is in tact with no cracks. Ideally I dont want to have to dig up garden to replace but any advice on how to repair the cracks to make watertight would be appreciated. Could I mortar the cracks? Resin?
Thanks

Attachments

• 20200513_174738.jpg
    20200513_174738.jpg
    750.1 KB · Views: 451
Sponsored Links
You could possibly try to lift the pieces and use a nice soft mortar mix to bed them back into. It's not ideal though given those 2 pipes that feed into it as it needs to stay dry for a while to set properly.

Thanks Madrab. I could possibly keep it dry and drain into bucket while it sets. What ratio for the mortar mix would you use? Any good buying the ready mix bags?

You really want to find a waterproof repair mortar for a DIY jobbie, lots of kinds available. Ratio is a hard one given the repair you want to make, too dry and the glazed clay won't sit back down properly.

Sponsored Links
We have recently moved into our home 1880s built terrace. I have noticed our rear rainwater drain gulley has a few cracks in! After a good clean and scrub it seems to only be the clay top cracked and the inlet spout is in tact with no cracks. Ideally I dont want to have to dig up garden to replace but any advice on how to repair the cracks to make watertight would be appreciated. Could I mortar the cracks? Resin?
Thanks
I would go for resin - soudal fix all perhaps . But you want to take out that round grid and get both those pipes extended down into the gulley

Thanks. Is that a grab adhesive type product?
I'm looking to change my kitchen sink and the other is the washing machine so will get onto changing the waste out to black pipe and straight into the gulley. Silly question but is that to stop splashing?

Thanks. Is that a grab adhesive type product?
I'm looking to change my kitchen sink and the other is the washing machine so will get onto changing the waste out to black pipe and straight into the gulley. Silly question but is that to stop splashing?
it's like a grab adhesive/resin - very strong. Not to stop splashing as such but to stop gunk collecting on the grid - and also flushes the gulley . You could then get a plastic cover to go over the whole lot- fixes to the wall and keeps leaves etc. out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back