gunge in f/e tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Earlier this year, I replaced several old Danfoss TRVs on my system with Drayton RT-111 TRVs.

I took the opportunity to clean the system using Sentinel X800 (applied strictly in accordance wit the manufacturer’s instructions), and having flushed it twice, then added Sentinel X100 inhibitor to the final fill.

All has been working well since, and the boiler (an old Pottertton Netaheat 16 22 Electronic) has been running more quietly.

I had a look in the expansion tank today, and found that it was full of gunge (best I can describe it – a bit like the skin that forms on custard when it cools). I’ve included a couple of pictures.

I’m concerned that eventually this gunge may find its way down the cold feed and block the pipework (which is microbore, distributed through manifolds)

Anybody got any idea what this gunge may be, and why it has formed so soon after a thorough clean?

Sponsored Links
Looks like brewers yeast!

When introducing the inhibitor to the f&e tank, I think you are meant to hold some back, when tank is full, pouring in the remainder, so that the tank has some concentration of inhibitor. The chemicals have some sort of preserver.

Stagnant water in a loft tank gets hot in the summer and all sorts of bacteria/mould will grow, especially if you have bats/mice/whatever falling in.

It could also be back flow or venting over.

tryitandsee: thanks for your reply - shall I draw off a pint for you, and would you prefer it in a tankard or a straight glass? :LOL:

I've re-read the instructions on the Sentinel inhibitor, and it doesn't mention holding some back and pouring it into the f/e tank when full.

I take your point about water stagnating more quickly in summer, but bearing in mind I only added this stuff in March, do you think it will have stagnated that quickly?

Re: backflow and venting over - what could I do to check whether either of these are causing the problem?

I've re-read the instructions on the Sentinel inhibitor, and it doesn't mention holding some back and pouring it into the f/e tank when full.

thats the difference between a diyer and a heating engineer.

backflow and venting over - what could I do to check whether either of these are causing the problem?

watch the tank when it starts/running.
or feel the water in the tank is it hot/warm.

Sponsored Links
Local Breweries in Hertfordshire are listed below.

Perhaps you should have contacted these guys :) :
http://www.greatbeerfestival.com/FestivalsCountiesHertfordshire.htm
McMullen Brewery Ltd, The Hertford Brewery, 26 Old Cross, Hertfordshire, SG14 1RD

If your beer is not listed contact us to feature your beers.

We are looking for Great content, both text and images.

So if you have a secret beer supply you think everyone should know about,
If your a brewer with beer we should be drinking,
If your local should be named the 'Best pub in town'.
If you brew your own and want to share your tips.
If your a hosting a festival

Please send us your pictures, tasting notes, experience and guides. We will do our best to include as many of your reviews as we possibly can. Drop us a line to get involved.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back