Gurgling noise from hot water system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I notice a periodic gurgling/"swooshing" noise from my hot water system during operation, even on days when the central heating is not being used. Silent when it is switched off. Particularly audible when standing next to the boiler or the hot water cylinder. Apart from that the system is fine -lots of hot water, no air coming out of taps, no water-hammer.
I suspect it may be air in the hot water system. I know how to bleed radiators, but how does one do it for a hot water system?
My house was built in mid 1970s and has a cold water header tank in the loft above the hot water cylinder. I don't think there is a pump for the hot water system (or at least I cannot hear one in operation - there is one for the CH system however).
I know very little about plumbing so any advice on where to find bleed valves and how to operate them etc would be appreciated. Or maybe it is a totally different problem to what I imagine...

TIA,
Jon

Sponsored Links
try turning on all the hot taps at once and see if any air comes out

Could be water heat expansion,try and turn down the boiler stat & pump to higher setting (no:3?) then see what happen.

Sponsored Links
It's probably scaling in the boiler which will give rise to gas formation in the pipes. It must be gas of some sort to get the noise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back