Gurgling noises from M/Vs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a gurling, bubbling noise coming from both my CH and HW m/vs and, as the m/vs are not bleedable, I wonder if I should bleed the adjacent Grundfos 50-150 / 130 pump.

I understand that I need to un-screw the 23mm diameter silver-coloured slotted head on the Grundfos until I catch water dripping out then do it up again. The problem is that I have only 60mm clearance because the pump head face is situated close to the boiler. I purchased a Draper 90 degree screw driver with bits but the widest blade of the screw bits is about 5mm and that does not give me enough torque to undo the tight Grundfos slotted head bolt. The screw bit just tries to burr over the slot.

So I thought that I would shape a piece of metal to provide the equivalent of a very wide-bladed screwdriver head. I was thinking of either cutting, shaping and filing down either a coin or a striking plate of a lock to give me a kind of t-shape. This should give me plenty of torque in a narrow space.

Does this sound reasonable or is there an easier way please? Even more fundamental, is it likely that bleeding the Grundfos is likely to reduce the gurgling noise running through both M/vs ?

Sponsored Links
Have you tried a 20p piece gripped in a pair of pliers?

Bleeding the pump may address the symptoms, but have you found how air is getting into the system?

Sometimes it's the result of a blockage in the cold feed from the F&E tank. One test is to apply a magnet to the 'T' where the cold feed joins the system. If it is attracted to the pipework, there's a pretty good chance it's bunged up with sludge.

This weather, ice in the F&E tank is another possibility.

TicklyT,

Unbelievable, just testing I turned the gate valve (I guess that is what the item ringed in green on the attached photo is) and the gurgling noise stopped completely and I just have water flowing quietly along the pipes. Unbelievable.

http://s630.photobucket.com/albums/...tos/?action=view&current=Boilercupboard-1.jpg

headache5678_photos

Previously, wrongly thinking I needed to bleed the Grundfos pump,
I had tried using a 1p coin+pliers and a "door catch striking plate" in the very narrow place to undo the pump's bleed screw. However both items bent up because the screw was too tight. A 20p was a tad too thick to fit in the screw's "slot". Anyway, all is quiet. Thank you for giving me the motivation to keep trying. Myabe its like my garden tap sometimes squeals when the tap is in a certain position like maybe the washer is resonating at a certain flow rate.

I cannot believe it !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back