Gutter overflowing/water jumping gutter HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United States
There are a few sections of my gutter that are not properly controlling water flow. I have one area (pic 1) that the water is overflowing the gutter. This section of gutter is larger than the rest and do not have gutter guards so previously someone tried to address the issue but did not succeed. The next two spots the water seems to be jumping the gutter with heavy rain. What would be your first step to address these issues?

IMG_4294.jpeg IMG_4293.jpegIMG_4295.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Are the gutters clogged with leaves?

Do they have enough fall?

Your photos do not show the downpipes. Stand back and show us where they are.

Sponsored Links
Further to John's questions is the rain overshooting the gutters or are the gutters full and overflowing? If you're not sure, you'll have to get up and have a look maybe when the problem is occurring, unless you fit a phone to a long stick and take a video, or a drone maybe.

Here is a picture showing where the downspouts are. While I plan to send someone up to check the gutters, I think the water issues are present even with clean gutters and there are pieces of metal sticking up in the problem spots to contain the water in the gutter. Definitely in the first picture the water was overflowing but in the last 2 pictures I couldn’t see exactly but the water was coming off differently than the first. The water was only coming off in the direct path of the water rather than along the side of the gutter like the first picture.
IMG_4310.jpeg

Which was the original house, and which are the later additions?

I don't think your gutters have enough fall (slope) on them.

This was all built at the same time. Do you think additional downspouts would help?

Your point about fall is valid too bc the gutter in the first picture was overflowing on the opposite side of where the downspout is.

In your first and third pictures, the gutter may flow better if they are tilted more to run towards the outlet. In your second picture the design is poor and I think it needs an extra outlet in the corner.

I don't know what rainfall is usual in your area. I expect local roofers know, or can calculate, gutter sizes required to shift expected volumes of water. Where I live it can be done by eye for ordinary houses, but is calculated for larger industrial or commercial buildings.

Thank you. By outlet you mean a downspout in the corner where the water is coming down? I am not versed in technical terms for gutters.

Where I live we usually call it a downpipe.

BTW if you can find an online gutter calculator, I imagine you can put in your location and roof sizes, and it will tell you what you need. I've never done it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back