Guttering / Possible drain leak

Rom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So rear of my house has a shared downpipe, drain is in my side.

Have a pipe concreted in the corner of my patio, that the downpipe connects to.

I can't see down it, but I think it's got some kind of trap down there. As I can't get further than a certain point. And the water never drains fully away, as if there's a set level like a trap.

Twice it's blocked, with silt etc from the roof. It's not leaves. To the point the downpipe up to the hopper is full, I notice when the hopper is overflowing! Ive not managed to find a solution to prevent this, other than potentially a water butt, which I don't want.

I've cleared it with a jet wash this time. Here is my concern. When I put the jet wash down it, there is bubbles / water movement around the concrete. I'm guessing this means it's leaking down there somewhere? Normal sort of jetwash, goes the depth of the whole lance, the pipe above ground level is maybe 300mm high.
It's well below dpc of the house. Is this something to worry about? I would imagine a majority of water (assuming it's not blocked I. The future) is going down the drain. There's no way its leaking all the water into the ground, it wouldn't soakaway fast enough and the pipe would back up.

If I'm honest, I don't really want to rip my patio up. I could fit a new downpipe the other end potentially, there is another drain there. Currently is grey and gutter from a little outbuilding. Think larder / coal shed size. Issue would be next doors condensate (I assume, it's 32mm but they have nothing else there) goes into the downpipe. So guess that would stop me, as I can't take the access from them (even for a condensate?)

Would they be as responsible for upkeep though? The downpipe is on the line, but drain is my side. I realise I can't take access, but hopefully it's also not my problem of the drain blocks and damages our houses.

Sorry the ramble.

Sponsored Links
So rear of my house has a shared downpipe, drain is in my side.

Have a pipe concreted in the corner of my patio, that the downpipe connects to.

I can't see down it, but I think it's got some kind of trap down there. As I can't get further than a certain point. And the water never drains fully away, as if there's a set level like a trap.

Twice it's blocked, with silt etc from the roof. It's not leaves. To the point the downpipe up to the hopper is full, I notice when the hopper is overflowing! Ive not managed to find a solution to prevent this, other than potentially a water butt, which I don't want.

I've cleared it with a jet wash this time. Here is my concern. When I put the jet wash down it, there is bubbles / water movement around the concrete. I'm guessing this means it's leaking down there somewhere? Normal sort of jetwash, goes the depth of the whole lance, the pipe above ground level is maybe 300mm high.
It's well below dpc of the house. Is this something to worry about? I would imagine a majority of water (assuming it's not blocked I. The future) is going down the drain. There's no way its leaking all the water into the ground, it wouldn't soakaway fast enough and the pipe would back up.

If I'm honest, I don't really want to rip my patio up. I could fit a new downpipe the other end potentially, there is another drain there. Currently is grey and gutter from a little outbuilding. Think larder / coal shed size. Issue would be next doors condensate (I assume, it's 32mm but they have nothing else there) goes into the downpipe. So guess that would stop me, as I can't take the access from them (even for a condensate?)

Would they be as responsible for upkeep though? The downpipe is on the line, but drain is my side. I realise I can't take access, but hopefully it's also not my problem of the drain blocks and damages our houses.

Sorry the ramble.
There's a strong chance that your trapped gully drains to a soakaway. And that soakaway and the pipes leading to it, are now silted and useless. It could have served its usefulness.

I'd be looking at installing a modern bottle gully, whilst at the same time inspecting the pipes to see if they are running clear.

There's a strong chance that your trapped gully drains to a soakaway. And that soakaway and the pipes leading to it, are now silted and useless. It could have served its usefulness.

I'd be looking at installing a modern bottle gully, whilst at the same time inspecting the pipes to see if they are running clear.
Hi,

Should have said, it's a 1930s solid brick, don't think it was council built. Basing that purely on its got baby windows etc, other nearby council ones were typical 4 square windows like I grew up in.

I've got a little camera endoscope thing. But not sure it's going to help much, as dont really know what I'd be looking at anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back