Guttering - running felt into guttering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to replace the guttering on the back of my house.

I was told by a friend that when he had his facias and guttering replaced the contractor trimmed back the damaged roof felt and affixed a damp proof course to the felt and had that overlap into the guttering.

can someone tell me what they might of used to stick/attach the felt and the damp proof course together?

Sponsored Links
hello it depends on your roof if you need to do anything with the underlay felt at all.

most houses this aint a problem at all, it realy depends on how far your slates overhang to your guttering.

So first stick your new guttering on before doing any felt then take a look up, if you see a gap ie light showing between the slate and the gutterring then you need to extend your felt.

this is done by cutting a strip/s 6 inches usually in width and raising the tiles/slates and tucking the felt under, usually the weight of the slates/tiles pushing down on the felt is enought to hold it into place nice and tight, the felt should only sit a max of quarter of the way into the gutterring NEVER MORE THAN HALF WAY. if the slates/tiles wont hold the felt in place to good then a few appropiatly placed felt nails hammered in will do the trick.

But can tell ya now out of a 100 houses estimate only 5 would need something done to the felt, so most likely yours will be fine.

you dont need damp course membrane ps: damp only rises a metre high, anything else is remedial damp caused by a leak or something.anything would do that allows the water to run from the slate to the gutterring but underlay felt is the correct material.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back