GV3008H H.264 NVR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I add a network [ip] camera to this machine?

It's obviously a generic machine with only a paper sticker so no sign of a make.

Slightly unusual situation where I use the above recorder at events, using a selection of different CV, AHD etc cameras for 5 years or so and to date have generally found it to be an intuitive easy to use device.It has 4 BNC video inputs and a LAN port but I only see how to connect it to internet etc.

My question is regarding a future event where we are trying to get a camera a mile away [to monitor traffic] with several properties and 2 roads in between and we have Ubiquiti kit to provide a LAN link.

I've tried the usual youtube/google and not found what I'm looking for
Also posted on a couple of CCTV sites.

Sponsored Links
not familar with it but a qiuick search brought the manual up so be worth checking that?

I've tried a number of online manuals but haven't yet come up with one that matches my menu.

Then how is anyone else supposed to know, no pictures of the unit or menu structure so can only go on the name you have given.

Sponsored Links
The original supplier has now responded to my enquiry and knowing the model number they have been able to advise it cannot support IP cameras.
They have recommended Hikvision NVR108MH-C8P as a suitable alternative. I'm convinced I'll never require 4K quality but I guess less than this is old hat now.
Does anyone have any comments about the product or any other recommendations?

its Hilook by Hikvision so no idea as only do Hikvision's - Hikvision range to be fair, hilook are usually cheaper.

you can look at the specs.

I believe most modern HIK Turbo DVRs will support all analogue formats, how they offer IP channels does vary. ie a few channels to swapping analogue to IP channels

So my advice is work out the demands of what you have are on the system and the demands of what you want to add.

So how many analouge channels do you need of what resolution and recording frame rate.
how many ip channels do you need.

Unfortunately the specs don't alway give the full picture, are you saying Hilook is a cheaper quality product/less reliable etc than Hikvision?
The company initially suggested a Hilook DVR which would accept one IP device but my gut feeling is networked cameras may be more useful in the long run so I can potentially run remote switches and cut down on cable runs [I assume I can use remote switches?] or use radio data links as in this upcoming event, hopefully!.
Most of the use is more for real time observation rather than recording and currently sometimes I use old 200TVL cameras alongside semi decent AHD's and even cheap miniature pcb cameras for their size. Most is habitual rather than proper design on the basis of 'if it aint broke...' This is for a portable and very variable non permanent hire stock application and typically use from one to five cameras.
In some ways I'm looking at it as an excuse to upgrade.
I'm sure it's obvious this aspect of the job is not my field of expertise but one things I could be looking at is data rate as I could possibly be sharing networks with other systems.

Sorry it's very vague but this is often put together on the fly.

200 TVL cant be upto much?

when all said and done need to know what you are going to be running to work out the best fit.

semi decent ahd means nothing to me.(decent means what?)

ip cameras can be run in switches and as long as the DVR/NVR can see the ip address and capable of using the resolution used it wont be a big problem.

but if you using a 5MP camera on a 2MP capable DVR/NVR it ain't going to work until the correct resolution is set.

then there is there is the question is bandwidth.

you cant be vague and expect to get the right answer, I suspect the company thats quoted as they knew the original spec has pointed you in the right direction.

so running IP cameras in shed or garages with mains power using passthrough ethernet over mains plugs and plug poe injectors is something I use to save cabling (where customer doesnt want cables outside or carpets and floors lifting.)

then you get wireless bridges to send data from a camera to the network form a considerable distance away.

but sounds like your using cheap rubbish, but if you need to know something is there is different to identifying who is there.

200 TVL cant be upto much?

when all said and done need to know what you are going to be running to work out the best fit.

semi decent ahd means nothing to me.(decent means what?)

ip cameras can be run in switches and as long as the DVR/NVR can see the ip address and capable of using the resolution used it wont be a big problem.

but if you using a 5MP camera on a 2MP capable DVR/NVR it ain't going to work until the correct resolution is set.

then there is there is the question is bandwidth.

you cant be vague and expect to get the right answer, I suspect the company thats quoted as they knew the original spec has pointed you in the right direction.

so running IP cameras in shed or garages with mains power using passthrough ethernet over mains plugs and plug poe injectors is something I use to save cabling (where customer doesnt want cables outside or carpets and floors lifting.)

then you get wireless bridges to send data from a camera to the network form a considerable distance away.

but sounds like your using cheap rubbish, but if you need to know something is there is different to identifying who is there.
The old CCTV cameras still work well and perhaps I've understated at 200TVL but I doubt they're as good as 300TVL. I wouldn't describe as cheap rubbish, the lo res cameras were state of the art when new and most have been removed from working CCTV systems at upgrade old but still servicable, having said that yes I do also have things like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2MP-Pinh...189930?hash=item288000386a:g:l~EAAOSwU5NdFHlR for some of the tricky situations.

The AHD's are 1.3MP 3.6mm or 2.0MP 2.8-12mm, not near todays standards.

Bandwidth could feasibly be something I'd be concerned about especially on the radio links as there is a chance they'll be sharing with other services.

The company didn't have a clue what the use is, I asked if the 3008 would support an IP camera on the network port and their answer was no, they suggested a similar device which will support one IP device and went straight into the Hilook when I asked about a second or third IP camera.

Quite often the use is to see the queue at the door for a show or at the burger/ice cream van from the other side of the event, on the stage to see when the scene has been reset, IR camera to see whats happening on a blacked out stage, show relay to the dressing rooms to name a few. Recording some of the functions is useful for future reference and so easy to do, certainly easier than a stack of VCR's like we used to do.

I have a stock of Ubiquiti units, also used for emergency communications work which will hopefully be fine for the wireless links.

Reallity is it would be handy having a recorder with say 4 analogue and 4 IP capability and for 'future proofing' lots of channels like this:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zxtech-1...der/173834679875?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Another question.
I was looking at the specs for network cameras/RJ45 sockets and I've seen some described as 1080p. Are these likely to not be lan connected?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back