GW Micron

DP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Boiler details not important other than PCB is shot. Boiler is installed as a sealed system heating water in a Part L compliant HW cylinder.

Houseowner moved to this property a few months ago to find the boiler failed to heat his new home about a week ago. He does not want to spend money to repair present boiler (I am in agreement here) as he will be replacing and relocating boiler to another location as the house is going to be remodeled.

At present there are two bathrooms with a third to be added (I think) later. Property is a bungalow. Room height is about 8 feet. CWC is at the highest point near the peak of the roof and cylinder is in the loft (now converted with additional rooms)

Present complaint apart from boiler not working, is lack of sufficient hot water. I foresee lack of hot water pressure being an issue as well especially upstairs.

They are thinking of electric shower. Good for backup only.

My suggestion is as follows. Fit a 24kW combi (Ecotec Plus 824) to run one shower and heat the house. It to also heat water in present hw cylinder that should be later replaced for an unvented cylinder as pressure upstairs will only be a trickle when showers are fitted. Further improvement would be to install a solar UV cylinder to subsequent solar panel installment.

What do the regulars think..

I have posted so client can see the response and help make up their minds as to what to go for.

TIA.

Sponsored Links
Sounds a reasonable idea to me, could you add a pump for the HW upstairs so that it's usable until the unvented is installed.

• Thanks
Reactions: DP
Pump is a good idea but head to CWC might pull air. Dare say can fit an essex flange so vent does not let air in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back