Gypsum plaster on solid brick walls???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I need to get my kitchen plastered ahead of fitting a new kitchen. The walls are solid brick (1934).

There are a few spots where the existing plaster is badly damaged or blown so I’ve taken it back to the brick work.

Having had a few bad experiences with trades I like to do as much add I can myself and then research the rest so I’ve an idea how it should be done. This can lead to conflicting advice sometimes.

Basically some sites state that you shouldn’t use gypsum plaster directly on a solid brick wall as it attracts moisture. Various suggestions including sand and cement and lime base coat with skim coat on top.

Obviously I want a durable finish. I have an area where the plaster is blown but the bricks are currently dry so it’s not obvious that gypsum plaster directly on to bricks was the cause. I’ve lived here less than 1 year so don’t know the history.

The kitchen will be delivered mid-March. Advice gratefully received. Cheers!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You may not have the space, but have you considered dry lining onto resillient bars or dotting and dabbing boards as an alternative? With a solid wall this would give you extra thermal insulation and potentially reduce moisture coming through the wall

You may not have the space, but have you considered dry lining onto resillient bars or dotting and dabbing boards as an alternative? With a solid wall this would give you extra thermal insulation and potentially reduce moisture coming through the wall
I had considered this but it’s more work as I’ll need to remove the pipe work for the gas, water, flow and return in order to get a nice job. There’s also a window and patio door.

There’s no current evidence of moisture coming through but the plaster is blown in one place and the ground level does need lowering outside.

Plastering does allow more flexibility for getting a nice finish ready for installing the kitchen.

If the wall is dry and no sign of rising or penetrating damp you can s/c render and skim over, or batten and board.
Personally I wouldn’t dot/dab or use bagged gypsum undercoats.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back