Gzzt! Click, ok I give up!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greeting fellow DIY'ers and assorted experts...

We recently finished a 'lean too' type extension, joining our two sheds to the house by a roof. Being the ever enthusiastic DIY'er that I am I have attempted to add light to this area. I say 'attempted' as when I turned the mains back on, all I was greeted by was a click from the fuse box.

I have connected three lights and two switches via a junction box (one switch to turn on an outside light) to an existing rose in the pantry, thinking I would merely be adding lights to the circuit.

It did strike me as odd that the rose I was connecting too only had one +, - and earth going to it, but I then thought this OK as it was probably the end of the lighting circuit.. :mad:

I have spent the last hour fiddling with the switches and wires, checking and re-checking my handy work and have come up blank, well 'click' to be precise...erm HELP!!!

Thanks in advance
Tal

Sponsored Links
Sounds like if your addition was working, it would operate when the pantry light was on.

I think you have probably got your switch wire muddled up in one of the joint boxes. Draw us a sketch and post it here - look in forum info for how to do this.

If your wiring is correct, perhaps you have overloaded the fuse? Does it trip with the lights all switched off?

Taliesin said:
It did strike me as odd that the rose I was connecting too only had one +, - and earth going to it, but I then thought this OK as it was probably the end of the lighting circuit.. :mad:

This sounds like you've run the new setup of the switched, rather than a permanent live from your pantry.

Then you've wired your new stuff up wrong to give a dead short!

Not very helpful I know. :oops:

Sponsored Links
sparkyspike said:
If your wiring is correct, perhaps you have overloaded the fuse? Does it trip with the lights all switched off?

If being the optimum word, and from what the op has written it is wired wrong. nothing to do with an overload.

sorry, but are you sure you should be posting with replies like that

I agree with that! a couple extra light fittings overloading an MCB and causing it to pop straightaway.......not going to happen! I would hazard a guess he had no other lights on when he turned it back on anyway!

He has either wired it incorrectly or squashed a core in a fitting or accessory etc.

He has also incorrectly wired it to the pantry light, but this wouldn't cause the MCB to pop either.

Thanks for the quick response guys! To answer a few questions;

The rest of the wiring in the house is fine and there was no problem until I connected my new system to it and the fuse box is a relatively new one and gave no problems previously.

I've checked and re-checked the wiring on the junction box and am sure this is ok, but I take on board that it may well be the pantry light rose that is the problem here as now I have myself questioning which is the live! A job for the multimeter in the morning I think!! :rolleyes: A lesson in never assume here I think..

The only thing to add I guess would be where would I be able to get a good connection otherwise? I did ponder the idea of patching into the sockets as there is one of these near to the back door, but just as quickly the purist in me thought that lighting should be kept with lighting etc..

I'll have a fresh look tomorrow and if all else fails try and do a sketch of the new addition

Tal

sketch or picture first

you can add pics to your posts, see forum information

Disconnect your addition, you should then have lights.

Draw us a sketch of what you have done, and how you have connected your JB's.

Incorrectly connecting to the pantry light fitting is very unlikely to cause a fault that will trip the MCB.

As suggested by those who obviously know more than me, I sat down this morning to practice my limited artist skills on making a drawing of the wiring to post here..

When I had finished the drawing I sat with a cigarette and a strong tea to ponder on what was going wrong for the umpteenth time, when it hit me. The wiring of the first junction box and switch was fine, but in my rush to be done for the day, I had not scrutinised the other box for the outside light which turned out to be wired totally different.

I had wired the switch into the other junction box + to + and - to -... :oops: Oh gawd I'm so stupid!!!

Having isolated this junction box from the rest of the circuit, I tested the first part of the new system again and was rewarded by light and no pops! I'm now going to crawl into a corner and gibber quietly as you laugh :rolleyes: then I guess I have a junction box to rewire..

To answer one question raised yesterday, yes the system will only work when the pantry light is on, but as this seldom has a bulb in it, it isnt a great hardship.

Many thanks for your patience and good advice, I guess sometimes all you need is someone to help you take a step back and assess the situation.

Tal

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back