please help with light wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings

i have taken live,neutral, and earth from the bathroom ceiling rose,as a power source, to power up 1 bathroom light and 1 room light in the knewly built building outside in my mums garden.the pull on switch and the wall switch are wired in live.i have connected a 5 amp fuse cartridge to the room lighting , in case of any problems.should a live be connected into a switch and then from the switch into ceiling rose? or from the ceiling rose and then into a switch? the circuit was running for over 2 hours today and there was no problem at all.

if too much wirse is used,can there be a future risk of fuses blowing?

i think i have used a bit too much wire for the ceiling rose to the switches.

Sponsored Links
I'm really sorry, I don't understand what you have done.

Well you've got me stumped. You're going to have to explain a bit more information about what you've actually done, why you've done it and what your question is. Whatever you've done sounds slighly worrying. The fact that you've felt the need to fit a 5 amp cartridge fuse to the lighting wiring (assuming it's not in the consumer unit) and the fact it's heading out into the garden is starting to set alarm bells ringing....

Hi MansubZero

I *think* I understand what you are getting at, so here goes, though we will need more information to be definitive....

MANSUBZERO said:
i have taken live,neutral, and earth from the bathroom ceiling rose,as a power source, to power up 1 bathroom light and 1 room light in the knewly built building outside in my mums garden.

...ok, so you've effectively extended the existing lighting circuit to power a new external building? Was the bathroom light the last one on the circuit, or have you just spurred off from that because its the closest?

You should really have run a new circuit from the main consumer unit to the new building - is the new building attached to the house? How have you run the cable between the house and new building at the moment? That work would be notifiable to your local Building Control btw, unless you are approved as a competent person under one of the Part P schemes...

MANSUBZERO said:
I have connected a 5 amp fuse cartridge to the room lighting

err...do you mean you have installed a Fused Connection Unit with a 5A fuse in? That hasn't actually added anything to the installation, assuming the lighting circuit is already fused to 5 or 6A. The main concern here is the fact that the cable is leaving the house and going to an external building. The cable should therefore be protected in some way from the weather and mechanical damage...

MANSUBZERO said:
....should a live be connected into a switch and then from the switch into ceiling rose? or from the ceiling rose and then into a switch?

Either works, although the more common method these days is from the ceiling rose looped through the switch. If the live does go through the switch the main thing to note is that the neutral is NOT connected to the switch, the switch is only in the live.

MANSUBZERO said:
if too much wirse is used,can there be a future risk of fuses blowing?

In general no, although the more lighting you have on a cable the more chance you have of overloading the 5 or 6A fuse at the CU.

If you can clarify the distance from house to new building, and how the cable is run, I and others can offer more advice. However, if you are not sure, it may be worth the cost to get it done properly - electricity kills and its not something you can afford to make a mistake with...

Gavin

Sponsored Links
Greetings Gavin

...ok, so you've effectively extended the existing lighting circuit to power a new external building?

yes

Was the bathroom light the last one on the circuit, or have you just spurred off from that because its the closest?

i have spurred it off from the bathroom light because it is the closet,but i don't know whether the bathroom light itself is spurred off from other circuits.there is a 5 and half meter distance between the bathroom and new building.

You should really have run a new circuit from the main consumer unit to the new building -

i guess looping it to the new ceiling rose was much more easy than running it through the mains.

is the new building attached to the house?

no.

How have you run the cable between the house and new building at the moment?

yes we have.we have passed the lighting wire through flexible plastic pipes.it is all safe.

That work would be notifiable to your local Building Control btw, unless you are approved as a competent person under one of the Part P schemes...

we have already notified the council.

altogether, including new building, there are 7 rooms downstairs.the bulbs that are being used are 40 watts each.40 * 7 = 280 watts. 280/240 = 1.16 amps.it all falls under 6 amps and i see no problems.

Either works, although the more common method these days is from the ceiling rose looped through the switch. If the live does go through the switch the main thing to note is that the neutral is NOT connected to the switch, the switch is only in the live.

my way is the common method way.

Greetings

I have made a diagram on paintbrush about the way i have done the wiring in the new building.I am having difficulty pasting it here.I can send you guys an attachment via email.

MANSUBZERO said:
we have already notified the council.
You notified them about the electrical work?

What did you tell them you would do in order to comply with the Building Regulations?

What did they say, and what have they done/plan to do regarding inspection & testing?

MANSUBZERO said:
Greetings

I have made a diagram on paintbrush about the way i have done the wiring in the new building.I am having difficulty pasting it here.I can send you guys an attachment via email.

You can't paste it in here, simple as, its for text information only, you should upload the file to some webspace and link to it in here

I can strongly recommend installing the ImageShack® toolbar - makes uploading images and linking them into posts so simple that even Joe-90 could do it..... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back