Two way switched light in the ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm planning to feed some new ceiling lights from power to an existing ceiling rose.

The ceiling rose is dual switched -switch at the foot of the stairs, one at the top. Having had a look at the wires in the rose, all I can see is live, and two other wires, which I assume are switched live and neutral.

Can this be used to power a new light fitting independent of existing switches?

Cheers

David

Sponsored Links
here you go. The white cable pointing lower right is one I've just run for the new lights, not connected to anything. Blue and brown go to the light.

I'll get a professional to finish off now I have done the donkey work of doing a difficult cable run over a stairwell. But very curious on the electirics

1656967846612.png

Right, well, most unusual.

Apparently the Brown and the Blue are the wrong way round but in the rose there is only a Switched Live and a Neutral.

If that is all there is then you cannot do as you wish.

Where does the other white cable go?

Also, this looks a bit suspect:

1656969310493.png

Is it connected properly? It looks like only a strand (or two) goes into the terminal.

Sponsored Links
Presumably there are more wires above the ceiling rose.

Can see what appears to be green earth wires.

Perhaps there is a permanent live loop there as well.

Really appreciate the replies.

I had all the ceiling roses in the house replaced 30 years ago - about 25 of them - and it looks like the guy who did it was not rigourous in matching the pendant cable colours to the feed's.

I think the dodgy looking brown may be due to today's work, which needed a bit of heft to get the cable run and rods to do what was needed

There is another ceiling rose powered by the same circuit - ie two landing lights same switch- perhaps this rose is fed from that with a switched live and neutral only.

Plus, I have not inspected the cable feeding the rose which may have the missing unswitched live. There was not much accessible to me

Anyway, I will leave the "finish" of the installation to a professional.

Normally the centre terminal has wires in it, the ceiling rose is duel purpose, one it acts as a junction box, and two it hold the 5 kg weight, it seems yours only holds the weight of the light fitting, and likely the switch back box is used as a junction box.

Quite possible there is a junction box somewhere, it was common years ago.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back