wiring 2 gang light switches.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do you wire a 2 gang switch? One for a kitchen light and one for the outside light. I've run a twin brown from the ceiling rose to the switch and just need advice on the best way to get power to the outside light using the live fed from the ceiling rose.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
loads of instructions on here. Try the Winky or see
LIGHTS.JPG
this.

you need to take a live, neutral and earth from the ceiling rose to the outside fitting, and a 2-core (twin brown if u want) from the fitting to the switch.

at the fitting, connect neutral and earth as normal (some lights dont require earth but outside one prob will). then you need to connect (using a strip connector) the live feed from the ceiling rose to one of the cores going to the switch. The other core is now your switch live which goes into the live part of the light fitting.

there should be space inisde the fitting for the strip connector, if not you will have to mount a junction box on the wall by the side of fitting, do the connections in there, then run some flex from junction box into fitting.

use compression glands to stop water getting in.

sorted.

Sponsored Links
But that's two cables to the outside light which I don't really want.

I know how to wire it up with a JB in the ceiling but it will not be accessible so I can't. It's the old type of wiring (as I've been told), with the live from the ceiling rose being used via a link to both commons in the back of the switch to feed the outside light. But I need a neutral and earth. Make sense??
Can I use single core and earth in a domestic rewire?

Change the kitchen light twin & earth drop cable to 3-core & earth so that you can take a neutral to the switch.

You do know that this is all notifiable, BTW?

he's already got a new twin brown down to the switch BAS.. keep up..;)

connect one brown to the loop on the rose, the other to a seperate connector block.
then take a T+E from there to the outside light.
connect the brown to the brown in the connector block, the blue to the neutral in the rose and the earth to the earth.

good point BAS, I was taking as adding a second switch to the existing kitchen light switch...
but perhaps I'm wrong..

would the OP please be kind enough to clarify..
is it a new kitchen light and outside light, or are you adding a second switch to the kitchen switch which is already wired?

Thanks.
To clarify, I am adding a second switch and a new twin brown is already run.
But I like the 3 core way as I don't want to fit conn block in ceiling rose or ceiling.
Thanks for both suggestions.

And yes I do know it's notifiable.
Thanks again for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back