hacking off outside wall? possible damp?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, having inherited a house from my grandparents I have a few questions I hope someone would be able to answer.
I have a feeling that we may have a damp problem.
In the living room downstairs a round watermark has appeared through the wallpaper. It has been the same shape and size for around a year now and feels cold but not wet to the touch. The wall it has appeared on is an outside wall which has my neighbours garden on the other side of (Victorian terrace) This neighbour had flowerbeads (earth poured up against our wall with plants in, no lining etc)u p against this wall and when we saw them we asked him to remove them as we thought they could be the problem.

On the same wall in the kicthen there are a few areas where a powderlike substance has come through the paintowrk in patches (paint staright onto plaster) again, they do not feel wet.
On the same wall but upstairs the plaster behind the paper has come away in large chunks and is now just being held behind the wallpaper, we have felt behind the wall and all is dry, although the old plaster and motar is crumbling. Further down the wall has been artexed and this has crumbled also, but only up until a point, leaving a dead staright line down the wall (floor to celing) where it goes from bubbling to perfect. WEe hjad been told that this is possible condensation as the room upstairs is a kitchen with a bathrrom/showerroom right opposit the said wall.

Right, any advice? We were thinking that we should have the whole wall hacked off outside and re-plastered/rendered? Im thinking of getting someone in to see it but feel that I someone may try and palm me off with 'It's rising damp, give us a few thousand and we will sort it out!'

The other option was hack off the crumbling plaster and motar upstairs, replaster and go from there? I am a complete amature so not really sure what the best option would be? Surely if it was damp/rising damp it would be the whole wall and not just small patches downstairs and large patches upstairs?

Any advice would be great!!!
Cheers

Stuart

Sponsored Links
Better to get someone in locally to have a look at the problem. Could be water getting in behind the render as you said. Hard to say. This is the kind of job that would have to be seen, to be able to give an opinion. It costs nothing to ask, but better to get it sorted out.

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back