Help please: Flakey plaster and damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could someone shed a bit of light on this problem please and hopefully offer a solution.

We seem to have a damp problem on an upstairs wall and we can't figure out why.

Here is the current condition of the wall - You can see the damp seeping out to the sides and the blistering to the paint:

Dampwall.jpg

Here is a pic of the outside of the wall, as you can see there is no damage there:

BackofHouse.jpg

We were wondering whether we had caused this problem after attempting to repair the other part of the wall couple of years ago. Here is the damage before we made reparations:

Originalwall.jpg

We hacked off the plaster to get out all the damaged material then patched over using patching plaster and just left it. I'm guessing we did the wrong thing or used the wrong materials and now the adjacent wall is suffering for it :rolleyes:. Again there is no damage to the outside of the wall.

Any suggestions please?

Sponsored Links
At a guess I'd say that water is spilling out of your gutter and down the cavity between the two layers of brick.

Noseall the room is on the first floor so I can't see how pipes would affect it.

Joe-90 I wondered that too but here is no damage to the outside wall. Wouldn't the damage show there too if the gutter was was spilling out water? How would it get between the cavity? I'm not dismissing this theory , I just need to know how it would happen before I look into it.

Just a thought, we haven't yet checked the roof for leaks! Could it originate from there?

Sponsored Links
Your wall is separated into two sections (inner and outer leaf). If the gutter or roof was leaking and allowing the water to run down the inner leaf then you wouldn't see any damp on the outer wall. Time to get the ladders up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back