How to Plaster to Bare Brick - previous damp problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I keep getting a very lot of different answers from plasterers wishing to plaster the walls in my house.

The house did suffer damp problems and would seem that the cause was very bad ventilation in the sub-floor that has now been fixed and new floors, kinspan added, anyway having started hacking the damaged plaster off it seems the old original plaster "old house" has become blown on most of the walls so going to have to basically strip the whole room back to brick as it is falling off in big clumps.

What is important when plastering walls i.e. what should be applied first, what sort of base plaster, any treatment to the plaster etc....etc

Should I just dot and dab with plaster board? do i apply pva first or something else as the last plasterer that came in, the damp just kept getting sucked out of the walls as he used the wrong plaster.

Any suggestions?

So i can maybe try myself or ask the plasterer to make sure he does his job properly as a lot of them have very different opinions?

My worry is that if we have all this done we still end up with damp seeping into the plaster.

Thanks all

Simon

Sponsored Links
The first thing would be to prevent the damp penetration prior to plastering.
It would be plain silly not to.
There are a variety of applications and materials that can be used.
That is most likely why you are getting conflicting information, some tradesmen prefer to use or feel more comfortable in certain methods.

It's really down to you and the type of wall that is being plastered.
It is now a much common process to dot'n'dab walls, as advantage of speed are high. Also much easier to get a flat surface to apply your finishing coat to.
Most walls will give suction and the right material should be used to combat this, I have known plasterers often PVA all bare walls prior to application but this is not always needed, often it is enough just to dampen walls down.

You need to let the walls breathe.

Do as joe says , he will tell you how to do it.... ;)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back