Plastering over damp bricks....how?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I am quite new to plastering (only done a little bit of "Patch work" in my own home), but a friend of mine has asked me to tidy up an internal wall which is prone to damp. The house is an old cottage! I have taken all of the loose plaster off (came off in patches) to reveal pretty damp brickwork (I presume rising damp) which I won't be delving into. However, my friend said that this has happened before in another area of the house and she said that the last person who plastered used a mix of plaster and UHU glue???? Has anyone heard of this?????
Basically what I am asking is: What is best to use for a quick reliable fix for plastering a few holes over damp brick? A packet of mix your own plaster and some glue mixed in?

Many thanks for reading.

Sponsored Links
Im afraid there is no quick fix ,you need to do it all or you will just be pushing the damp elsewhere

Sand. cement and a waterproofer but it's only a bodge really. You need to sort the damp issues.

Sponsored Links
1. As mentioned above, you will need to use a render mix such as 4:sand and 1:lime, no glues or cement necessary. Skim with a remedial finish.

2. As above, it will only be a temporary bodge; you must determine the cause of the damp and take it from there - research on here, there's masses of info. on precisely what you describe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back