Had old gas fire removed, crack behind it in breezeblocks?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We finally got our decommissioned gas fire removed today, big hole in the wall as a result!

I noticed there is a vertical crack running up the breeze blocks behind where the gas fire and old back boiler used to sit... , as shown on photo

No idea how long its been like this as old gas fire was in situ for years.

Can i fix this myself or do i need to get someone in? The crack is about 1-2mm thick and runs upwards for the extent of the photo (crack ends just above the extent of the photo)

Thanks

Attachments

• crack.jpg
    crack.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 67
Sponsored Links
Nothing to worry about. Looks like a minor shrinkage crack. If it's stable just leave it. If rendering or plastering might be worth bonding some mesh jointing tape over the crack prior to plastering to prevent the crack coming through the plaster

Thanks, that is very reassuring, i have spent so much money getting things fixed this year the last thing i wanted was a structural repair
I have no idea how long it has been like that, there has been a fire and a decommissioned back boiler there for so many years.

This is right at the back of the 'hole' so wont be directly plastered, i will have the front of the hole plaster boarded and not stress over it

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back