Cracks to facing stone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm in a 2 yr old bungalow and about a year ago I noticed cracks to 3 of the facing stones.

I got the builder to look at them but he said they weren't concerned as the crack is less than a £1 coin size & there is breeze block behind the facing. (Each individual block is breeze block at the rear coated with the sandstone type finishing as far as I can gather).

I've attached photos which I took a year ago. (The 1st photo which I actually took today is of the same crack as the 2nd photo but to me looks like it has gotten worse).

Should I be putting a clear silicone in the crack to stop further deterioration or should I be doing something else?

Many thanks.

Attachments

• 20191028_164648.jpg
    20191028_164648.jpg
    348.3 KB · Views: 257
  • 20180628_080539.jpg
    20180628_080539.jpg
    657.6 KB · Views: 290
  • 20180628_080608.jpg
    20180628_080608.jpg
    497.2 KB · Views: 252
  • 20180628_080528.jpg
    20180628_080528.jpg
    718.5 KB · Views: 258
Sponsored Links
Thermal crack (shrinkage) due to either poor design/ choice of materials, or poor quality work (site storage, protection of built work, mortar mix)

It's there any warranty?

Only the standard Nhbc warranty - builders said they only fix cracks if a £1 fits in. Is it anything to worry about? Should I do anything to prevent further damage?

Sponsored Links
Thermal crack (shrinkage) due to either poor design/ choice of materials, or poor quality work (site storage, protection of built work, mortar mix)

It's there any warranty?

He Woody, just checked this morning and another one of the cracks looks like it's deteriorated since last year. Would clear silicone help do you reckon?

If that is a thermal crack then it may well open and close over the seasons, or it could be a case of it cracking once and then settling down.

Filling the crack with silicone will be a less obtrusive repair, and will keep excessive water out for now and then you can monitor it to see if it does get worse or stabalise.

If its on-going movement then you need to decide on a more permanent course of action - expansion joint, or if the movement is something else, then deal with that.

Otherwise I tend to find that cutting out blocks and repointing mortar looks worse than just leaving the crack filled with silicone.

Bare in mind though, that if you come to sell then whether its a crack or an obvious repair of a crack, this can raise concerns with a buyers numpty surveyor. So if possible, a professional report from the builders or NHBC could be useful.

If that is a thermal crack then it may well open and close over the seasons, or it could be a case of it cracking once and then settling down.

Filling the crack with silicone will be a less obtrusive repair, and will keep excessive water out for now and then you can monitor it to see if it does get worse or stabalise.

If its on-going movement then you need to decide on a more permanent course of action - expansion joint, or if the movement is something else, then deal with that.

Otherwise I tend to find that cutting out blocks and repointing mortar looks worse than just leaving the crack filled with silicone.

Bare in mind though, that if you come to sell then whether its a crack or an obvious repair of a crack, this can raise concerns with a buyers numpty surveyor. So if possible, a professional report from the builders or NHBC could be useful.
Thanks Woody, that sounds like good solid advice there. I'll get the silicone out. With the cracks being quite narrow would I be best using a thin paintbrush to get it in the crack or put a thicker bead over the whole crack do you reckon?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back